Well, now that we've started moving in, I've had to start dealing with the property. Besides the lawn, I have about 3 acres of pasture, and about 14 acres that was in corn last year.
To deal with the lawn (about 3/4 ac, very complicated), I got a small (25 horse, 48" deck) lawn tractor. I have also been able to cut some of the pasture to clear the fence lines near the house, but the rest is well beyond what this machine can do - its about 10"-15" tall in places. Between fences, brush, and the house my schedule is very full right now.
Next year we hope to aquire a tractor large enough to deal with the pastures and back 14, and bring some sheep onto the property (if not this summer).
So my questions are these:
Given my limited equipment and time, can I simply leave the pastures untended this year?
Would there be any merit to renting a tractor and deck mower (or hiring the same) to knock it down so that I can maintain it with the equipment I have?
If I let it all grow over the summer is there any value to the grass? Should I "harvest" it (I assume a sicklebar mower would cut it all then it could be gathered)? Would this be worth saving for the sheep we hope to get next year?
If I get lucky and get fences cleared/repaired in the next month can I introduce sheep into these pastures in this condition - or should they be mowed first? If so should they be mowed or "harvested"?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I suspect some are basic knowledge, but I'm reading and learning as fast as I can!!
Any input is greatly appreciaited, as always.

Gregg