Thread: Foxes killing ducks

Foxes killing ducks

Last week my wife forgot to put the ducks in for the night and we lost two by morning. A few days went by without incident but the other night she woke to find all the recently hatched ducklings, our mallard, a goose, and 4 female ducks all dead in the pen where something had burrowed under the fence. Judging by the hole size I'd say it was just the right size for a fox and I know about five foxes have a den two doors down. Anyone have any ideas on how to dissuade the foxes from lunching on our remaining ducks?? I'd shoot'em but being nocturnal that's easier said than done. Wouldn't mind trapping/poisoning them but I've heard trapping is VERY difficult cause they're smart and I don't want to chance trapping/poisoning other wildlife or my neighbors cats. Solutions appreciated short of re-doing the entire pen and burying fence around the perimiter. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Foxes killing ducks

Hi, Gerard! A trick I learned from a poultry farmer on TBN, is to keep a radio on all the time in the pen. It doesn't have to be loud. The human voice usually scares away foxes and coyotes. I do that with my free range chickens, and it works. Keep the radio on a talk station, or a rock station. Instrumental music won't work.

Good luck.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

There is only one way to keep your ducks from getting killed and that is getting rid of the foxes or it could be shunks, coons or possums. The radio method will only work untill they figure it out and it won't be long. I have tied dogs out in the barnyard and they will figure that out too. I have watched foxes kill chickens with dogs raising all kinds of heck yards away from them. Just before dark they might off a shot if you have a place to sit concealed quietly, I have got them that way. You can catch a few untill they get wise to it with a #3 leg hold trap, just hang the dead ducks about three foot off the ground and dig a shallow depression beneath the ducks and stake and set the traps there, at least two. Cover the traps with a thin layer of dry peat moss so they can't be seen, you will get one or two of whatever is getting the ducks this way. Boil the traps first to remove scent and set them with clean cotten gloves on your hands. If you can't get them hire out an animal control person catch them for you, I have had foxes kill dozens of birds before I could get rid of them, good luck, AL

I'll agree with Al on this one, having lost all my chickens two years in a row to a fox in broad daylight ! On one occasion some of the hens were killed less than ten feet from our house. Kill em. Pete

Yea the radio thing should work and if you have a outdoor light might help too.
    RabbitRae

I've shot one ,each the past two springs,haven't seen any yet this spring, in my back yard,after dark,just by flashlight and 22 mag.I think in early spring they are more active,or mating,or whatever,than the rest of the year,so you might go out at night with a good light and shot one that way.Also there are calls you can get on tape,put in a boom box,that work,pretty grusome sounds though if you close to neighbors,rabbit squealing,etc.,but they work and its fun,get a friend to shine the spotlight,you have the gun,turn on the noise,than every now and than light up the area and look for eyes,but killing them will be the only way to save your ducks,other than building them a super pen. RICHARD GAUTHIER

We lost one of our 3 ducks this week ourselves. they were marching right into the duck house every night on there own, but the routine apparently got messed up when we took on a grown 4th duck. One night we could not get the ducks off the tank (pond) and into the duck house. Next morning one was gone. I assume it was a coyote or dog, but I guess it could have been another varmint.

The ducks have found something in the shallow end of the tank (pond) that they really like, and the duck food doesn't seem to entice them to the duck house anymore.

Any ideas on an irrestible duck treat?
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Thanx for the replies, I 've slept with the window cracked the last few nights and haven't heard any ruckus or lost anymore ducks yet. I did lay some three foot chicken wire flat around the perimiter of the pen and attached it to the bottom of the vertical wire fence. This is a stop gap measure but it should prevent them from being able to dig under the fence. Don't know if the'yre smart enough to figure out they have to start 3 feet back and dig a tunnel to get in. We'll see. Re getting ducks out of a pond - our pond is only about 50 feet round and I use some electric fence tape, secure one end at the edge of the pond and walk around the pond holding the other end. You can heard the ducks right out of the water that way unless your pond is too big to do that on or you have too many obstructions/tree's etc

<font color="blue"> I use some electric fence tape, secure one end at the edge of the pond and walk around the pond holding the other end. You can heard the ducks right out of the water that way unless your pond is too big to do that on or you have too many obstructions/tree's etc
    </font color>

We have managed to herd the ducks out of the pond even though its an acre. I basically splash and throw rocks until they swim to the side that has the duck house. But now, right there within 6 feet of the entry to the duck house, the refuse to go in. Before, they couldn't wait to get in while we were cleaning it getting it ready. We think it might have been a stormy night we had while they were locked up in the duck house, with the wind and the side flaps flopping around it probably spooked them.

Tonight we had to physically herd them in there, we probably won't get them near it tomorrow. Its a shame, because I doubt the will last one night out in the open.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek