Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never farmed, want to farm, am buying. Advice?

Never farmed, want to farm, am buying. Advice?

I am looking for a 30-40 acre place near the Twin Cities, MN. I want to begin farming in a very small way for a few years and build up until I can cast off from city life.

I want to do organic market gardening. No livestock for now.

I grew up in Wisconsin, spent lots of time on farms as a child.

I know this is going to be really hard. Anybody got some advice?

thanks

Thaddeus

Re: Never farmed, want to farm, am buying. Advice?

Not much advice, but I'm doing something kind of similar. I've owned my place (10 acres) for a while now and just got laid off from the high-tech industry. I've realized that I've been sick of living in the "cubicle farm" and am starting out some small scale farming. I've started growing a bunch of different kinds of veggies, have some pear and plum trees already, and am also started several kinds of flowers. Don't know for sure what I'll wind up doing, yet - this is my "practice year" to see what works and what doesn't.

There are a number of books on small scale farming, including books on all sorts of specialized crops. There are also a bunch of websites that can help - here is the USDA Farm Service Agency, this site has a bunch of links that might be helpful, too.

Good luck - to both of us [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]!

Administrator

Hi,

My advice from a purely economic viewpoint, would be to raise organic herbs as a cash crop. Taking a few bushels of peas and radishes to the local farmer's market probably won't produce a living wage.

It will take some research, but I know that the opportunities in herbs, specifically organic medicinal herbs, are growing for the small farmer, if you cater to specific markets. For example, you can earn out around $18,000 net per acre for organic peppermint. Other crops, like echninacea, would bring considerably more. In 1991 the roots of wild ginseng were selling for $200 to $280 PER POUND of dried clean roots in various parts of the Eastern US. Compare that to corn or soybeans!

Contact your local organic growers association. They will help with marketing info, and certification advice.

PDF With Prices for Specific Herb Crops

Some more info here to start

All the best,
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Starting small is a good idea. If you have a significant other, make sure they keep their day job as its a lot easier to deal with start up issues when you still have money coming in from somewhere. Contact your local organic growers organization and meet some people who are doing it successfully. Most growers organizations have annual meetings late winter/early spring and these are a great place to meet people. Be prepared to invest a few years developing your skills and business.

If you're doing market gardening 40 acres is a lot unless you plan to hire some migrants. 1-5 acres/person is a more typical ratio for the people I've met.

Oh, I'm not planning on gardening 40 acres! I am thinking 1 acre year 1 (test plantings of a large number of different things), 2 acres year 2, and so on to a maximum of 5 acres. I want to keep the rest in trees, or in fallowed lands for rotation. I am keeping my city job for the foreseeable future. I have plenty to learn, and don't want to put my family under undue economic pressure while I do it.

thanks for the insights, keep 'em coming...

Thaddeus

Keeping your present job is an excellent idea. Most of the farmers living around us have outside jobs, their farming operations don't always have to turn a profit that way.

On 1 to 5 acres, I would consider Hakim's suggestion. There are fewer and fewer of these herbs being found in the wild because so many people are picking them. Ginseng requires several years to grow, but some other herbs are ready in just a year or two. You might also consider blackberries or blueberries, perhaps a u-pick operation.

Whatever you grow, I would suggest you look for something that will return a high price per pound. Herbs, berries, etc.
    The idea is to get the most return per square foot of ground.

Steve

I have an old 1 acre blueberry patch on our farm I'm in the process of reviving. I've often wondered whether or not to restart the pick-your-own operation. I've observed that out of season blueberries are quite pricey, in season they aren't worth squat. I'm not sure the pick-your-own operation in-season would pay. I have to look into it more.

I think it's going to vary area by area. In heavy growing areas, price in season is going to be lower than where there are fewer blueberries grown. It's sort of like Christmas trees. The tree that I'll pay just a few buck for is worth a whole lot more sitting on a lot in downtown Miami or Manhattan.

What I can't figure out is "cage free" eggs. The wife and I saw them in the grocery the other day with a $2.99 per dozen price tag. I can't figure out how the store can sell them when all the farms around are selling for $1.00 per dozen. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Steve

People are paying extra for the knowledge (or at least, belief) that the animals are being treated humanely during their lifetimes. This is good news for small producers who aren't running egg factories, but farms-- and it is a marketing opportunity for the independants.

Hmm, maybe one of the big boys will open up the market and all the little guys can benefit from it. But maybe not. Maybe the big boys will get the government to require all eggs be inspected before eating. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Believe it or not, we actually had one gal ask us if we had to send the eggs to an egg inspector. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve