Thread: Other supplementary heaters/stoves

Other supplementary heaters/stoves

I am looking to bring the temp up in a single room, the living room. Just for a coupe hours at a time, but probably the whole weekend long. I dont want to do a wood stove because the piping outside is just going to cost too much to run it. So, other than that... anyone ahve any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks
    Ken H.

Re: Other supplementary heaters/stoves

The electric oil filled heaters work pretty well. Don't look too bad either.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Might consider a small non-vented gas heater (if your building codes and zoning) allow it. Some of these now look remarkably like gas fireplaces and I've seen a couple that look like cast iron woodstoves.

Steve

OOPS... Late again and disagreeing with agreeable folks [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Check carefully prior to going vent free gas. Anyone in your family have alergies or asthma? If yes, then it might be a bad idea. As regards using for long run times (weekends) you'd have to have a window open and it will make a lot of moisture in the house which might condense out on cool surfaces, walls ,windows, whatever.

Several states have outlawed vent free and it wasn't just a whim.

Direct vent gas stoves and heaters can use a short intake/exhaust pipe run through an exterior wall without a conventional chimney or flue pipe. They are sealed combustion. Their intake/exhaust pipe is a double concentric pipe (coaxial). the combustion air comes in the outer chamber of the pipe and the hot exhaust goes out the inner one. A fairly small rectangular metal thingy goes on the outside of the wall and terminates the coaxial pipe. There is a "special one" for use with vinyl siding. This is what I installed in my mom's house.

Direct vent stoves and heaters come in a variety of styles from pretty realistic fireplaces with logs and embers to cast iron stoves or parlor stoves. They even have then with artificial coal instead of logs for coal burning regions. The one I bought has a self generating milivolt pilot which accomodates a wall thermostat. The flame height (and Btu output) is easily adjustable by an easy to access control knob. The pilot is easy to light with a built-in piezoelectric clicker. There are remote wands and fan kits but I didn't get those.

They look nice, work well, do not polute your indoor air, and do not compete with you for the oxygen in the room. The one I got is 86% efficient, not as high as vent free but my mom didn't want to live in a chimney so vent free was not a viable option.

I am currently shoping for three direct vent units for the house we are building. The only difficulty I am having is finding a decorative parlor stove with low enough Btu output so as not to overheat our sitting room which is a six sided concrete box with 2 1/2 inches of styrofoam on 5 sides (minus windows and doors) and an insulated slab. Want the ambience but can't use a lot of heat. Current plan is to install a register above the stove and use a fan in the duct to pull out the hot air and put it into another room.

Best of luck to you in your quest. I recommend a direct vent unit. Cheapest flue installation available (ignoring the vent free.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"