Thread: How to keep grass/weeds down between small trees

How to keep grass/weeds down between small trees

I planted 50 white pines tree seedlings 2 years ago. They are spaced 6' apart (which is what Musser Forest recommend for creating a screen). Most are 2' to 3' tall now and starting to widen out, so the distance between the ends of the branches is about 4' now. I've been spraying Roundup (very carefully so as not to get any on the tree) on anything that come up in the mulch around the trees, or pulling them by hand. The last 2 years I've mulched under them in an area about 1' to 2' in dia and I've been mowing in between them with the lawn tractor, which has a 42" deck. It takes a lot of time to do this and I don't want to do it for another summer, plus before long the mower deck is going to be too wide.

I'm trying to decide if it would make sense to spray Roundup on all the grass/weeds between the trees and put down landscape fabric. I found a place that sells green landscape fabric, which would look much better than the black, but it costs a bit more. It only needs to last about 4 years, since by then the trees will be spread out enough to snuff out most of the grass/weeds. Another option is to forego the cost of the landscape fabric and just keep spraying it with Roundup once or twice a year. It would probably cost about the same in the long run, but I'd have to keep spraying, whereas if I use the landscape fabric I could just be done with it.

I've thought of mulching the entire area between them, but from past experience weeds will grow in the mulch, so I'd still have to spray it and/or pull the weeds.

Once the trees get around 5' tall, I shouldn't need to mess with them except to mow along the edge, which I can do with my sickle mower to get up under the low branches. I just need a way to keep the grass/weeds from trying to take over in the mean time. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated!

Re: How to keep grass/weeds down between small trees

I've stayed with the Roundup approach for the areas around all my trees.

When I found that was taking ten trips back to the house to fill up the 1.5 gallon pump sprayer it justified the cost (only about $100) of a 15 gallon 12V powered sprayer. I put the tank in my FEL, clip the power leads to the battery, run the spray hose back to the seat and just drive from tree-to-tree. In some cases like in the orchard area, I just drive a circle around the tree spraying as I go. In other cases like along the fence line, I just drive along and spot-spray as necessary.

Pick a wind-less day.

I've had good luck with the mulch method. Yes, the weeds like to grow in the mulch, but if the mulch is thick enough, they are easy to pull out. I weed once or twice a year. Usually takes me a full day to do it.

When you mulch, be sure to remove the sod that's there, don't just pile the mulch on top. Some people put the plastic down, then mulch on top of it, I haven't found this to help control the weeds any.
    Hazmat

What I have done here at the house is tilled around my trees (3 X's in 2 weeks) to kill exisiting grass, then weed cloth and mulch. If all I have to do is pick a couple weeds a couple times a year I'll be extremely happy.

Roundup works great. I've found that with my older trees that I can kill them when I spray because they put up shoots from the roots. But for smaller trees, that is the way to go, I think.

I've got a 25 gallon 12V sprayer. I have hookups on both the lawn tractor and the larger tractor so I can use it either in the wagon or the FEL. I kill lots of weeds that way - around trees and along the fence lines. Very nice setup, and it wasn't that expensive - I think around $150, if I recall correctly.

Spraying is probably your best bet. No way to keep them mowed when they get bigger, without hurting the trees.

Make sure you do the spraying without wind - 'cause that stuff kills anything when it hits the foliage. "Non selective" is really...uh, well, non selective [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

Re: How to keep grass/weeds down between small tre

I missed this one! Shoulda been in the forestry forums [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Go look for Arsenal (FORESTRY). It will kill off the grass and weeds and the pines are tolerant of it if the directions are followed. Make sure you get the jug labeled FORESTRY [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] If you have trouble locating it email me and I'll give you A # to call.
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano

Re: How to keep grass/weeds down between small tre

There are attachments for small tractors that are extendable and allow the operator to till around the tree.

I do not know where to get one or what they cost. A friend in Alberta has one for his tree farm. It is mounted on a 25 HP compact tractor.

Egon