Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fishmouth

Re: fishmouth

So you wanted to know how to make a fish mouth? If its 1/16" thick,you had better get it fitting pretty good,or you will burn some holes when you weld it.On sch.40 type 2",I never used a template because you don't have to moon out much,I always staddeled the pipe end and in the top edge cut back maybe a 1/2" and than cut out to each edge that you can see,you got to be directly above the end,with you eyes,to make this work,than roll it 180 degrees and do the exact same thing to the other side,than you adjust your cutback as needed and its always needed,but once you get it you can whip em out,now this was heavier stuff and if I had a little gap,I just took my time and didn't burn a hole,but you did say this pipe was 1/16" wall thickness didn't you? RICHARD GAUTHIER

Well poorboy,how did the gate building go? RICHARD GAUTHIER

Well that is a story. To make it short I haven't gotten to it yet. I have had to put up many of the "BROUGHT ON" variety though. I have mouthed out three of the pipe though and it worked out not too bad. I found that the pattern needs to be the best fit though. This was due to the loss of the fit up when transferring. Nothing to major though. Each time I pass them setting their I do think about them for a moment. I thought about cutting two pieces with a fishmouth on each end and welding them together. I figure that way I would have to deal with perfection of a fishmouth on each end with perfect fit up length, I hope to take care of the lenght with straight cuts if that makes since. Will it work?

Patrick

Sure it will work,if you can see it before you build it it will generally work, well.......... RICHARD GAUTHIER