Thread: Transplanting Lilac Bushes

Transplanting Lilac Bushes

What is the best time of year to transplant Lilac Bushes? We are going to be moving about 10 Pine Trees in late July and I want to move the Lilacs prior to that. Does anyone know when is the best time?

Thanks!

-Bob

Re: Transplanting Lilac Bushes

Usually transplanting has best reults when the tree is in a dormant stage. Lilacs are usually very hardy and should make it as long as there is some time for them to get the roots started again.

Egon

Egon -

So you're thinking that after the mature growth is done that it could be moved (late summer - fall)? Or is it more of a spring effort and best done before growth begins. I am thinking of having either someone with a tree spade do it or I will dig it out with my tractor's FEL and move it.

Thanks for your insight.

-Bob

By dormant season I meant late fall after the leaves are gone till spring when the leaves come out. Smaller trees transplant better and with lilacs I'd go up to midsummer with most varieties.

I'd probably do it with the loader but a tree spade is definetly better.

Note: I'm not a master horticulturist . Have transplanted many trees with success and also lost more than a few.

Good luck.

Egon

We transplanted one and it didn't really do anything for a couple of years until I cleaned its clock plowing in the winter! The next year it took off! Of course I managed to cream it again the next winter and it grew even more! It got big enougth this time I can see it so I won't hit it this winter.
    Ken