Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semper's rear end

Semper\'s rear end

Semper (our 57 Dodge p/u with a 230 flathead six) is geared really low for use on a farm. He has 4:10 gears in the rear, so his top speed is 45mph and he has to scream to get there. And first gear is so low it's practically useless.

I found a good rear with 3:23 gearing and am thinking of swapping it out. I'm not after speed, but would like the engine to run at lower RPMs on the highway. Is this too big a change?

Pete

Re: Semper\'s rear end

Pete, is it a stick or auto? If auto, likely no problem. If clutch you may suffer from short clutch life from excessive slipping at start ups. You've got hills, right? How 'bout an add on overdrive unit like what these guys offer [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks for the info. I sent away for more details. Interesting, but pricey! Youch!

Right now my first gear is so low I either shift into second within a couple of seconds of starting...or simply start out in second gear. But that makes it a two-speed.

Semper is an old farm truck with the granny gear and a hand throttle to let it creep through fields. It's a fun truck to drive, but first gear doesn't see a lot of use. Also, the old flathead 6 develops max torque at 1600rpm, so I can actually accelerate uphill in third gear starting at only 10mph!

Pete

With the low gearing in the transmission the 3:23 should be just fine. You'll sacrifice the super low for pulling though.
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Yeah, with trans gearing that low you should be fine with the new axle ratio. I'd say go for it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Are you making a daily driver out of it? I guess you have to use the highway to get anywhere from your place?

I'd be inclined to let it alone - 35mph for the old girl (or, sorry, maybe guy?) would be just dandy if the answers to the above questions are no and no.

Wow, Rob, that GV overdrive would seem really expensive for an older truck. In fact, it seemed pretty darned expensive when I had it installed on my 1989 Chevrolet 1 ton dually, but it sure was a pleasure to drive after I had it installed. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Pete,

I'm now mechanic but I'd think you'd be fine with the new rear end. Is there someplace you can research whether or not that transmission was offered with that rear end by the manufacturer? I'd think that might be a good guide. If Dodge offered it as an option then the probably felt it was a viable combination, too.

Pete:
    Those flathead six'es in a car with standard would do about 90/95 mph flat out with a good tailwind.

Therefore I'd be of the opinion you'd have no problem with the different geared rear end.

Egon

You will be fine with that rear. Those old motors were tourkers. They can pull quite a bit of gear. As long as you are not planing on some REAL heavy towing. You will have no problem at all. I say go for it.
    Paul Bradway