Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semper's rear end

Re: Semper\'s rear end

Dear Boonie: I'm going to go against the grain [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] here and declare that the L-head six will not pull that gearing without overheating on warm days, [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and certainly will not pull them with any kind of load. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] My qualifications are that I am a Mopar chauffer from way back and have owned, driven, worked on and modified several Ethans, Sempers, and Leroys. We had a fit-seven half ton short bed with that same engine, and the same gearing. I slapped a set of highway patrol gears in it to get better highway speed. The gearing was 3.33 I THINK. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It was a disaster; too much gear, not enough under the hood; constantly oveheating at highway speeds. I solved the problem by putting up a best-of-everything-including-a-hardened-shot-peened-crank 354 Double-Rocker Chrysler and put THAT under the hood. Now THAT, Buddy, was a pickup! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The engine finally matched the gearing.
    CJDave

Dave -- You hit my fear on the head! I know the K6 with three on the tree had three gearing options in 57. One was a 4:89 I believe. We have the 4:10 and I think the other was a 3:60 something. The 3:23 gears are out of a 59 Dodge p/u, but the engine is long gone. I think it was the L6-230ci because the hood doesn't have that huge V (or even holes for it) that Dodge put on all V-8s of the era.

This truck will never pull a load; we'll use Ethan and his V8 for hauling hay. I hear you about the hills, though. Obviously we'll no longer be able to accelerate uphill in 3rd if we swap out the gearing, but I wouldn't mind downshifting into a lower gear for the uphill drive if it meant the truck could handle 50mph on the straightaways. There are places were it just isn't practical to pull over to let folks by, and those aggressive tailgaters really bother me. Decisions...

Pete

Heres anouther idea for you Pete. If you don't want to make the gear swap, but still want to drop the revs a bit, try going to a little bit taller tire. I don't know what tires you have on it now, but if they are modern tires, I bet they are shorter then the OE ones. That would be making your gear problem worse. Plus, tires are cheeper then rear ends. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Good luck, and I envy you having the time to work on your project.
    Paul Bradway

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I envy you having the time to work on your project

[/ QUOTE ]

Time? Hah, I'm burning the candle at both ends and am flippin' exhausted! And I still have to find the time to put up fencing before Tamara's sheep arrive next month! Arghh!

Pete

PS: Thanks for the very interesting option. I'll check it out!

Ya things are real hetic on my end also. I am glad you are having a good time. I know sometimes you need a fresh project to give your mind something to think about when things go crazy. Right now, with the new house, living at my moms till its done, the baby, three dogs, and a real buisy time at work, I have been thinking of a few new projects to keep me sane. I am thinking of a 48-50 Ford truck. My Dad had one, and it has always brought back good memorys when I see one. That and your old truck storys have been egging me on also. Well maby someday....
    Paul Bradway