Thread: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Hybrid View

Re: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Just ordered the correct switch for my 2000 model Z71. I've been worrying about this problem for 8 months now and figured it was the switch. We shall see, but I'd bet this fixes it.
    Fishman

I'm not a big truck or 2WD junky and don't know much about it. In the last couple of years, I've become quite the outdoorsman and bought a 4WD truck for snow sports, hunting, etc. So I'm pleased to be able to read all of your advice.

I've been seeing that "SERVICE 4WD" message for a year now, but it's always been real on-and-off. I figured if I could determine a pattern of when it happens, I might be able to figure out what it was. But of course, it seems really random with no typical pattern that causes it. I also noticed that the 2WD light sometimes shuts off while I'm doing normal driving in town.

This weekend, I really ended up in trouble because of it. I was in the middle of nowhere scouting for an upcoming elk hunt and got myself real stuck in deep sand in 2WD. And the thing wouldn't go into 4WD! I must have pushed that button 100 times before I gave up and decided to hike to the nearest help. Just for kicks, I decided to try one more time before starting to hike and sure enough it engaged...pulled right out.

Then, when I got back to town, the opposite thing happened... it wouldn't switch out of 4WD! I tried pulling fuses, and battery cables and everything to no avail. Finally, after 45 minutes of frustrating madness... it just worked.

I have no idea why it works every 100th time I push the button, but I gotta get this thing fixed before I go out again. This time the story ended happily and I got home ok, but I don't want to risk it happening again with a worse ending.

It sound like I might have the same switch problem and I'd be happy to bay $40 for a new switch.

Do you guys think that is what I should try???

Thanks,
    Aaron [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

By the way... I forgot to specify: 1999 Silverado, Z71, 5.3L, 68K miles.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Do you guys think that is what I should try??? /quote]

Yep. I replaced mine at about 67k now at almost 90k and have seen the light since. Hasn't failed to shift in that time period either. I did take the old switch apart and resolder in the event it does happen again I could swap it out easily, but so far it has stayed in the drawer.

Cool. I'll try that as soon as I can.

By the way, as long as I've got you listening, maybe you can help me with another problem I am noticing. When I am off road or when I just go over a bump in the road, something in the rear end of the truck makes a clunk noise... almost like something is loose.

Just like I was saying about 4WD, I don't know much about this stuff. I've done a decent amount of engine work, but nothing on suspension or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I would guess maybe a loose U-joint. Do you ever notice it when you leave from a stop? i.e. leave a red light. There was a service bulletin on these originally when they came out. It felt like the transmission was slipping and then all of a sudden a clank it would start to go. If I remember right the fix was for the dealer to put a special fluid in the tranny and/or transfer case.

I'll watch it closer when I drive home, but now that you say that it does sound like something that happens once in a while. I'm the second owner. I bought the truck from the original owner about a year ago. Is there a way to find out if that was ever done to this particular truck? Do I just call the dealer? I hope it doesn't cost me a lot...

ackelley, Before you start the vehicle while all systems are cool, slip underneath and grab various portions of the exhaust system and give them a hearty tug, especially the tail pipe. Could be your niose is something as simple as a exhaust pipe hitting on something. Easy to check and its free.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

i have 99 silverado ext cab lt. the service 4wd light is constantly on. before it would switch on and off. ive changed the switch out and drained the old oil out and put new oil in...the light stays on now.. why is that?