Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Re: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

My '99 w/ 67k is doing the exact same thing right now. I've spoken w/ 3 different dealers and a buddy of mine that works on cars and all said the switch. I had my buddy order it for me. List Price was something like $57 and I believe he got it for me for something like $43. Cheaper than a replacement key fob for my wife when my son lost her keys. I haven't stuck it in yet, but it will be easy just to pop the dash and go. BTW, if you do have to order a key fob don't let them tell you it has to be programmed by the dealer. Did mine in under a minute. BTW, my truck does have the Autotrac, 5.3 liter engine, 4L60E transmission, 3.73 gears, and the Z-71 Off-Road Package w/ the 265/75-R16 tires. The dealership will ask for the last 6 or 8 digits of your VIN and get the right switch for you. Now just gotta get mine put in.

jwstewar - Thanks! Can you report back after you put it in? Is it really that easy to take the dash off?

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

Dan, getting into the dash is so simple it's spooky. It's just held on with clips and plastic "fingers". Grab an edge and yank, turn the key to the "on" position to unlock the gearshift, move it down so it'll clear and that's it. "No tools required".

I'll see if I can get to it tonight and I'll send you the part number as well and as someone else said just grab it and pull - gently but firmly. BTW, forgot to mention I also have the problems with the lights working intermittently. Didn't think much of it at first until the Service 4WD light came on. Wife said that when it was on it wouldn't go into 4WD, but I haven't noticed that. We actually use the 4WD quite a bit as her parents driveway is gravel and coming from the direction we usually do the truck wants to spin so it is just easier to hit the Autotrac and go up the hill.

Jim

Didn't get to install it last night. When I got home wife tried to mow and killed the lawn mower. Had to work and get that start and put away before the storm came (on a side note can't wait to get a tractor). But the Part number is 15709327. I think right now I have might truck scared, I haven't seen the light in probably 3 weeks. So maybe I don't replace the switch I just keep the truck scared. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    IF it DOESN'T, the part number for your switch is 15709327, $30 thru GM Parts Direct

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, that is the part number that my switch has and my truck has the Autotrac. I have the switch here in my hand and that is the number imprinted on the back of it and it does have the Auto4WD button so I know it is the correct switch.

I goofed. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] When I was doing a part number lookup I must have checked the box for the Autotrac. You indeed have the correct part number for the Autotrac switch.

Jim

Jim - Are you still relying on the scare technique, or did you put the switch in yet? My light came on again after over 300 miles of staying off. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Still relying on the scare technique. Mine hasn't been on now in almost 600 miles. If I can get the grass to quit growing and the mower to quit breaking maybe I can get it done this weekend. Seems like if I have a chance to do it we then have a storm that comes through and since I don't have a garage I don't really want to take the dash out of the truck even though it should - should - only be a few minutes.

Jim

So much for the scare technique. Might light came on Saturday. Just before that I had a hard time getting the truck to go into 4WD - lights wouldn' t light and front-end wouldn't engage - of course of all times could seem to get the rear diff lock to want to engage either. Finally got both to engage - only after I left a nice little trail on the in-laws driveway. Gotta get that switch put in.

Jim