Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Re: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

By the way... I forgot to specify: 1999 Silverado, Z71, 5.3L, 68K miles.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Do you guys think that is what I should try??? /quote]

Yep. I replaced mine at about 67k now at almost 90k and have seen the light since. Hasn't failed to shift in that time period either. I did take the old switch apart and resolder in the event it does happen again I could swap it out easily, but so far it has stayed in the drawer.

Cool. I'll try that as soon as I can.

By the way, as long as I've got you listening, maybe you can help me with another problem I am noticing. When I am off road or when I just go over a bump in the road, something in the rear end of the truck makes a clunk noise... almost like something is loose.

Just like I was saying about 4WD, I don't know much about this stuff. I've done a decent amount of engine work, but nothing on suspension or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I would guess maybe a loose U-joint. Do you ever notice it when you leave from a stop? i.e. leave a red light. There was a service bulletin on these originally when they came out. It felt like the transmission was slipping and then all of a sudden a clank it would start to go. If I remember right the fix was for the dealer to put a special fluid in the tranny and/or transfer case.

I'll watch it closer when I drive home, but now that you say that it does sound like something that happens once in a while. I'm the second owner. I bought the truck from the original owner about a year ago. Is there a way to find out if that was ever done to this particular truck? Do I just call the dealer? I hope it doesn't cost me a lot...

ackelley, Before you start the vehicle while all systems are cool, slip underneath and grab various portions of the exhaust system and give them a hearty tug, especially the tail pipe. Could be your niose is something as simple as a exhaust pipe hitting on something. Easy to check and its free.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The dealer should be able to tell you if it was done. You could ask them what the special GM fluid they put in to stop it. You could then just buy that and do it yourself.

I took the switch out and re-soldered those cracked posts like you guys said, and so far it seems to have done the trick. I'll keep you posted if it gives me any more trouble, but it looks like it's fixed...THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

I have a 1999 112K mi also with the same problem of the Service 4WD light intermittently coming on..I took it to the dealer and they said nothing is wrong with your 4WD..Is the dash difficult to get off to check the wiring?

Magster,

Chances are it is your switch. The dealer can't find it, because the terminals crack inside and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't - that is when you get the Service 4wd light. If you go back and read the entire thread, I've got some pictures on how I replaced my switch almost 3 years ago now - haven't seen the Service 4wd light since. Though we've only put about 20k on it since then. It sits in the garage a lot since we bought the Trailblazer.