Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Re: Service 4WD light on 1999 Silverado

Hello all. I seem to be having the same problem.. But My truck is a 2003 silverado 5.3 autotrac. It only has 48,000 miles.. maybe it is the switch too?? I sure hope not. when i bought it i opted not to get any kind of extended service warranty. but i'm thinking that with only less than 50K miles it shouldn't have a bad switch?
    It only happened today for the first time. I disconnected the negative battery cable and it fixed it for now.. I will keep you posted as to what happens.. for now i'm going to do the forget about it technique and see what happens..
    The smart man Knows when to shut up.

I have just bought a 2000 silverado 4X4. Just a few days of owning it the SERVICE 4WD light came on. I was upset to say the least. I got on the net ( Google ) and searched "SERVICE 4WD" and this sight came up. I read all of the posts about the replacing of the switch in the dash. So I purchased a new switch and replace it and the light has not came back on as of yet (went on a 425 mile trip after the fix). Thanks for all the help! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Just to follow up on the service 4wd light,I have a '99 Z-71 with 140,000 mi. and the auto trac system.Came across this site through my search engine,and saved me a considerable amount of money.The dealership down here in Alabama wanted $85 just to hook up the diagnostic machine and said the fix would be anywhere from $250-$450.After reading the threads in this forum I went out to the truck turned the ignition switch to the on position and noticed that all the lights on the selector switch did not come on like they should've during the first 2-3 seconds,which is a self test for the unit.Went and pick up a switch at the same dealership for $70.Installed the switch,turned on the ignition switch to the on position all lights came on,drove back home 4wd light hasn't came on.just another reason why I don't trust dealership service departments.probably would've took my money and wouldn't be none the wiser.Thanks!friends.

jgmont, Pretty scary, huh? I have noted that in some cases it is not the dealership at fault, and isn't an under the table policy. In some instances it is the mechanic (can I call them that or do I have to say technician which implies, sometimes erroneously, that they are technical) who doesn't want to draw attention to his shortcomings and does what he has to in order to fool his management as well as the customer. More revenue from them helps them stay on managements good side.

I took my "beater" Dakota into the dealer with inop radio and asked them to have a look. I specifically requested they check all related fuses. I got a huge estimate for replacing it. I declined. A fuse cover was off under the dash near the parking break pedal and a ckt breaker fell out driving rough roads and off road. When I put it back and fussed with all the fuses in the exposed fuse box to make sure they all made contact, the radio started up and has worked fine for a few years since.

I have considerable experience at this dealership and don't think there is systematic dishonesty. I do suspect a tech was less than thorough and or honest in the instance of wanting to sell me a new radio.

Lets assume management doesn't know about your situation. If they don't know. then they can't take steps to correct the problem. You need to to do your part to keep them armed with feedback on which they can base decisions. If you tell them what happened and how you fixed it and they don't thank you and instead give you some s--t and get all defensive instead of being appreciative for your assistance then you have learned a lot and may not want to risk being at their tender mercies in the future.

If we don't speak up and give management a chance to correct problems than we deserve the treatment we get.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here in the UK there are a number of RHD Blazers. Unfortunately Chevrolet decided to pull out, leaving the owners unsupported.
    I had the service 4WD light come up, and found that apart from the selector switch not working some of the time that the mechanics seemed OK. Looking through various forums it seems that there are two areas to consider. 1. the front axle lock up clutch, which is vacuum activated, it seems that the cable can stick, or the vacuum unit can fail. 2. the 4WD selector switch can have a fault with the pins to circuit board connection. Advice was given on this forum, that one way of checking the selector switch was by pressing the body and at the same time pressing a switch. I tried this on my vehicle and it worked, thereby indicating the unit was faulty. Now comes the fun part! No main dealers in the UK, we have a source for spares from a network called Ampar. Contacted them, yes can get the part, ï½£840, approx $1600. Being of pensionable age this cost was out of my budget to say the least. Eventually I found a US main Chevrolet dealer, who not only would provide, and ship the part to the UK, but would sell it including shipping at one tenth of the UK price. The part was received, and was the correct UK spec. I have fitted the unit, and all is working fine, with no return of the Service light.
    If it were not for this very helpful forum, I would have had to consider scrapping a fine vehicle.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just love it when a plan comes together!

Pat

Hannibal, is that you? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

No, I was just channeling Hannibal. Funny how it gave me a vague taste of a cigar...

Pat

2003 Chevy Tahoe

I was driving up my hill in the snow...and I Pressed the 4WD (4H) to drive in snow and it went in fine ...when I was leaving my house going down my hill I put it 2wd...and the SERVICE 4WD came on immediately after...then I tried to put it back in to 4wd and it doesn't work. so in the snow...im pretty much screwed. How much do you think something like this would cost? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: 2003 Chevy Tahoe

I think most of us were paying about $60 for the switch. Not sure what is going for now as mine has been replaced for several years now.