Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you get your garden in?

When do you get your garden in?

I'm just curious about when various people get their garden in and where they live. I'm in southern Indiana and just tilled mine yesterday. Due to the rain last month and earlier this month, it just finally dried out enough. It's still a little damp, but ready to plant now. I'm planning to start planting this evening. Last year was about the same time. The year before that was early May because we had a much drier spring. The first spring I lived here, 1998, it was late June to do more rain than I've ever seen in my life!

Re: When do you get your garden in?

Danny, every year I bought the current Old Farmer's Almanac. It has charts for different parts of the country with dates to plant a wide variety of garden plants based on weather and/or based on the phases of the moon. Now I can't say I really believe in that moon business, but I figured I've got to plant it sometime; might as well use their dates. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] That seemed to work as well as any time except when a late frost killed something and I had to replant it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Well, I have been trying to do mine for the last few weeks. No go. Its hard for me becouse I am not at the house where the garden will be yet. So its a matter of time for me to get everything together and do it.
    Paul Bradway

Hoping to get mine in this week - piece by piece in between rain showers. Up here we have a national holiday on the third weekend of May - Victoria Day. That's usually when people plant seeds in their gardens. It's more like the 1st or 2nd week of June before the tomatoes go in.

Well its been a very wet spring here in southern W.VA.. So far I got potaoes,tomatos,pepper plants,cabbage plants broculi,spinch,lettuce,green onions,peas,carrots and beets planted and that is all that you should have planted in this area up untill about now,but the next time it almost dries out,[whenever that is],it will be past time to plant every thing else,corn,beans,vine crops,etc.Last year we had a late frost about this time and burned the potato tops but they came back alright.Its been a wet winter and spring here,but we are just coming off a 2 year drought, so........... RICHARD GAUTHIER

Almost finished ours tonight, have some transplants left to put in, had to wait for the Memorial Day freeze that occured last week. Garden app. one acre in size.

I'm about 3 hours east of you and have greenbeans, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and some bell peppers in the ground.
    The lettuce and cucumbers just when in the ground over the weekend. The beans, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes are all looking pretty good, so are the weeds I'm battling nearly daily and I can't figure out how to get rid of those, it seems
    I hoe up a pile and two piles grow.
    The corn is starting to show signs of life, as are the deer tracks. Last year no deer problems but this year the seem to be fresh tracks every morning... Time for the old yeller tape.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

I tilled up a little this evening and right now the old woman and the young woman are planting,squash,watermelon,cantalope,greenbeans,po lebeans,cuccumbers,pumpkins,and some peanuts,never planted peanuts before,what do you do with them after you dig them?Dry them or what? Any body ever ate boiled peanuts? They are a staple in deeper south,boil them with the shell on in salt water or salt and hot seasonings,I might try them that way this year if they grow,although I've never did it, just ate a lot of them, last thing I got to plant is sweetcorn,maybe tommorow,and the very last is sweet potatoe sets. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Richard, I'm a peanut addict, eat them every day, but have never grown any. So, yes, I've eaten the boiled peanuts, but never prepared any of them that way myself; just bought them ready to shell and eat. For many years, I stopped in Giddings, TX, the Saturday before Thanksgiving each year and bought 100 to 300 pounds of raw shelled peanuts. I know they dry them, but don't know the process; just know that if they were running the dryers when I stopped, it was almost like standing by a revved up jet engine; sure noisy.

Best peanuts I've ever eaten were those I roasted in the microwave, then added butter and salt, and ate them while they were still warm. And they're even better if you add a few pecans, but you sure don't want to roast the pecans nearly as long as the peanuts.

Around here (Erie,PA.)Memorial Day seems to be a good target. Mine is going to be a little late, Maybe it will be dry by this weekend.