Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you get your garden in?

Re: When do you get your garden in?

Well Ill just have to live and learn on this one,we didn't plant many,1/2 lb or so,I imagine you air dry them after you dig them like any other root crop and than do with them as you want,we'll see. If any body else knows let us know,they probably won't even come up. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Ain't it early for pumpkins?
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

I typically plant most of mine Memorial Day weekend. Didn't this year, it's been raining dang near every day for three weeks. Still waiting for it to dry out enough that I can walk across the garden without water squirting out from under my shoes.

I put mine in the ground Monday. The package said 115-120 days for harvest. That puts me at the last week of September. We always get our pumpkins and have them a week or 2 before we carve them and then carved for a week or 2 so for us it should be about the right timing. Haven't seen any signs of them yet. Of course haven't seen too much of my corn either and some of it has been in the ground for 2 1/2 weeks. Gotta get the rain to stop for a couple of days.

Rain and cool temp. mean some things might not come up,planted sweet potato sets today in the mud,it rained like hell here yesterday,alls I got left is sweetcorn,I've had good luck with peaches and cream,its a bicolor,it grows if its to dry or to wet seems to me like,I like to have my sweet corn planted earlyer but,rain,rain,and more rain here in southern W.VA. As far as pumpkins I've noticed those people who grow pumpkins to sell for jackolanterns,don't plant them untill mid or early summer,for that reason,mines already planted,as always,but if a fellow waited till about the last of june it would make more sense,EXCEPT,thats when it starts getting to dry sometimes,you might have to water them often. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Today for the seeds and root stuff. Everyone else around has corn up already. I've been holding off, because I expect another frost. Came close to one the other night. Soft stuff (peppers, tomatoes and other sets), will go in next weekend.

Steve

O.K., got the sweet corn planted today,garden planted,all 1/2 acre of it,already hoed potaoes, cabbage,etc., need to stake the tomatoes a.s.a.p.,so I'm a little behind schedual this year but to answer the question,I finish planting my garden about the first of june. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Well, just started my garden today. Got the plot all tilled up. This is a first time garden at this house, so it took me a wile to get it all tilled. This week, I plan to dump my compost in it, and maby pick up some menure and till it all it next weekend, and start planting. A little late, but I am not expecting much from a first year garden anyway. Seems to take a few years to get the soil good and happy.
    Paul Bradway

Well, got around to tilling up the garden. The first tilling is always fun. about 2 hours later I had a nice tilled garden. Spent last night unloading my compost piles into the garden, and I hope tonight I get a chance to till it in. I also have some organic fret to add to the soil, hopping I get the site all set, so I can start planting this weekend. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am running a little late, but I guess better late then never. If nothing else, its a sure way to get the rain to stop. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Today, June 13th. That is the latest I have EVER attempted a garden, be interesting to see how much I can harvest before frost.

This week is the first time since April that we've gone more than two days without significant rain.

I'm not even going to bother to try the usual cool weather crops, lettuce, peas, radishes, etc. I expect it'll come off hot here in another week or two. I'll stick with root crops, string beans and corn this year.

My new perennial flower beds are doing GREAT tho. All the cool weather and moisture has been a godsend for them!