Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free hay?

Free hay?

I have about 10 acres of what was mostly hay field before I bought the place. When I bought it, the whole place had been cut to look like a golf course. The first year, I cut the whole shebang with a finishing mower, and because it was my first year with a tractor I actually enjoyed it. The second year, it began to get old, and a neighbor cut one field, maybe 3 acres, for hay and got six round bales. I was happy to get it cut and just let him have the hay. I don't even know what the main grass species is, much less the quality of the hay, but it looks pretty much like other hay fields in this area. This year, I'd really like to find someone to cut about 4 acres total for the hay, if it could be cut for the value of the hay. That is, I don't look to make money, but I don't want to pay to get it cut if the hay is worth enough to make it worthwhile. The neighbor who cut it last year is getting on in years and isn't interested. Is it likely I could find someone who would be interested in such a small acreage, even if the hay is free for the cutting?

Chuck

Re: Free hay?

This varies all over the place. Some people pay to have it cut, others get it cut for free, and still others get paid for the opportunity.

If it's good hay, around here , you'll either get it done for free or you could it advertise it as "standing hay for sale." Again, I'll qualify around here, anyone who pays to get their hay cut is being taken for a serious ride.

If the hay is decent, you woudn't have to pay to have it cut around here, either. If you have a use for some of it, you may find someone to cut it on shares, or to pay you a set price per bale.

Steve

Thanks guys. I have the name of a local who runs about 150 head of cattle and is said to be interested in small plots of hay. I'll see what deal he offers, but getting it cut free would be acceptable to me, at least this year. I'll try to learn a bit more about all this for next year. As to quality, I 'd eat it if I was a cow. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chuck

It's all going to depend on the quality. Grass hay is usually pretty cheap, $20-30 per bale. Figure it costs about $15/bale to bale hay yourself and unless the hay is pretty high quality it's much easier for somebody to just buy it rather than travel to cut it somewhere and then have to haul the bales etc. For 4 acres I don't know too many guys that would waste their time with it if it wasn't really close.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I don't know too many guys that would waste their time with it if it wasn't really close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the key.
    If you were a ~mile away I would do it. Since I would not have to haul equipment, I could just drive over on the tractor.

Fred

That's what I'm looking at. The fellow I'm trying to get in touch with cuts hay at a neighbor's place just down the road, and he's not much farther away himself. On the other hand, this is probably a good hay year around here. At least it's a good hay year in my fields! If I can't find someone who will cut it as hay I may have to sell the individual shoots as lumber! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chuck

Well, it took a while, but the fella got back to me. He'd taken a trip and then lost my phone number. Anyway, he's more than happy to have my hay free this year, and we're talking about improving one field so that the hay might be worth something in subsequent years. Turns out he's got two places, and I'm right between them. So, my never-ending grass cutting has been reduced to just almost never-ending!

Chuck

Who is going to the the improving? If it is you, you'll have to get paid enough to cover your costs. If he's gonna do it I'd keep on letting him have it for free, as long as you don't have a use for it. Spoilage can be mulched, and is good for building garden soil.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer

He volunteered that if we agreed to any improvement, he'd do the work and buy the seed. We haven't even met in person yet, though he cut and baled last week. He got 11 round bales, which probably would only be marginally worth his while if my place wasn't so convenient for him. Sure looks better than it would if I'd hogged it.

Chuck