Well, we may be slow, but we're getting there. FINALLY got some rafters up on the house this weekend. I tried 4 different books on framing, all told the same "story" on how to do the rafters, and not one of them was right (at least as near as I can figure). Here's what I think happens when new guys build for the first time...

New guy (we'll call him Builder Bob) hears that rafters are the hardest part of framing.

Builder Bob goes out and buys every book he can find on the subject. All books tell the same tale.

Builder Bob says to himself, "I've got a college degree, even graduated with honors - I can handle this." So Builder Bob goes off to build the roof.

But what's this? Seems the rafter didn't fit at all. Builder Bob goes back and researches to see what he did wrong. He finds some obsure detail that he surmises he left out and off he goes to cut another rafter. Confident that this one will be fine.

Not so fast Builder Bob - this one doesn't fit either. Now the score is: Ruined Rafters 2, Builder Bob Zero. So, our hero goes back to the books to "study" some more.

Ah yes, Builder Bob proclaims, I see the error of my ways. I must have forgotten to account for the ridge board! So, back to the cutting saw, up onto the house, and wala - it still doesn't fit. Builder Bob hangs up his framing square and heads for the house, still wondering what went wrong. Score: Ruined Rafters 3, Builder Bob Zero.

Now, with 3 toasted rafters on the ground, Builder Bob is determined not to mess up again. So he takes out some trusty graft paper, sharpens his pencil, fires up the scientific calculator and goes to work.

Emerging several hours later, Builder Bob has determined that all four books he read are TOTALLY wrong and the only reason anyone feels rafters are the hardest part of the house is that they've ALL been reading the same misguided books!

Using his great powers of mathmatics, Builder Bob determines the RIGHT formula and heads off to the half finished house for another rafter cutting party. Out comes his measurements, zip goes the saw, up to the roof our hero climbs, and wala - it's still off! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Builder Bob is now in total denial and heart broken to boot. His trusty calculator has failed him - or has it. Suddenly Builder Bob realizes that he has failed to account for the ridge board. He quickly takes the framing square, draws a line, recuts the rafter and it fits! Great joy in Mudville as all concerned parties unite to celebrate! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Speach! Speach!", the crowd yells. Builder Bob calmly walks up to the mic and clears his throat. "Rafters," Builder Bob proclaims, "are the hardest part of a house to build." [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]