Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do-it-yourself house building...God help us

Re: Do-it-yourself house building...God help us

Thanks for the advice and words or warning. We totally understand the enormous task that lies ahead. And so far, weather, "hard earth", and ill concrete guys have delayed us by two weeks and 2 days. We originally factored in about 4 1/2 weeks worth of delays in the June - August portion of the project plan.

Today the 'crete is in...forms come down tomorrow...waterproofing wed...foundation floor prep this Friday...final pour early next week...framing to begin soon there after.

One good note, the building material was delivered on time (13 tons of it) and we were able to unload, sort, and stack in a days time...we take every small milestone as a tremendous victory.

bigbukhntr, no, we're not discouraged by your realistic insights. 90 days is rather rediculous, but we need a rediculously unrealistic goal to achieve rediculously unrealistic results. Matter of fact I think we perform better by hearing others say "it can't be done". I personally love the challenge...if you ask me steep goals are the only thing keeping me alive.

No C.O. in these parts. And we're not above roughing it for a 2-3 seasons...remember the PBS special last year on the Pioneer house? Talk about inspiration!

Pictures are due back in a day or so. Unfortunately, with the exception of the clearing, the progress we documented was paid for. Our pride will come when we start showing you pictures of the work we did ourselves.

Gatorboy. What kind of work did you do on your basement? How big? How long did it take?

So far...still having fun... and still in deep prayer!

God Bless,

r-y

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

Lots of luck. Some thing I always wanted to do, but you have to be young or at least young at heart. Keep everyone posted.

RY -- What part of Vermont are you in? I'm up in Stowe and would dearly love to see this thing go up (and help, and take digital pics) as we are considering one of Shelter Kit's barns for our land.

Pete

My first post on this forum and it will be one of support. I'm doing the "house building thing" myself. I've about determined that you have to be a bit crazy to build your own home, and then a lot crazy to do it for someone else. My wife and I are in the process of building a home for my parents on our property. To add to the "misery" the property is 105 miles from our house!

My parents are living in a small trailer on the property while we build and we go out each weekend that we can to help out. Everyone is pitching in with my day and mom doing most of the day to day chores. My wife and I help with the heavy stuff on the weekend, but my main job is "money man" for the project as we are building from cash reserves.

All in all it's been quite interesting so far. I've enjoyed seeing the progress we've made. Interesting to note that "my" expectations of how fast the home would go up have proven to be somewhat incorrect. While the time it takes to actually do the work is right on, the number of "work" hours in each day was WAY off! Seems that central Texas heat will do that to a project. Most days it's close to or over 100 degrees in the shade by 11 am. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

How many post and how far apart are there holding up the house? How far in the ground, concrete or gravel?What about termites gettin to the post ? I want a very simular setup. Doggone foundation companys are thick here in bryan county OK. these days. I want a wooden floor for sure.I really like the system you are using. I aint no house builder but I have no fear!

Next to a fine wife and kids building your own home has got to be the best feeling ever.The wife and I are a year away from building our home , like you said every nail ,board ,pipe . good luck to ya fer sure.

I'll see if I can remember all of this...

There are 18 post (3 rows of 6 each). Posts on the rows are 8 feet apart. Post are pressure treated 6x6's and are set in concrete. We drilled down about 32" and hit sandstone - short of blasting there didn't appear to be any way to go deeper - so we didn't. We poured a concrete pad and let it set for a few days, then placed the 6x6's in the holes and topped them off with concrete. The house is 40 feet wide and 30 feet deep, and has 2x12 floor joists set on 16" centers. The joist are 15 footers and go front to back. They rest on a beam that runs across the center row of posts.

Most of this is by memory and hopefully I haven't left out any details. My dad is in his 60's and has been building garages, porches, decks, etc. for quite a few years. This is his first house though - mine too! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm just the grunt and the money man, so I generally just nail where he tells me to and set the boards on the deck for him to line up.

As for termites, we plan on having an exterminator come out and spray under the house. Probably wait until the plumber gets finished though - don't want him to keel over as well.
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

Thank you sir. We are gonna be in a bunch of red oaks ,probubly too close is why I want to go your route.Slab houses are breaking up left and right here the last few years.I think a wood floor is warmer anyway. IMHO. Keep us all up to date best you can .

The post and beam construction is less expensive than the concrete - but only for the materials. If we were not doing the labor ourselves, then it would have been MORE expensive! Lot of time already spent on the foundation! With the sandstone just below the surface, a concrete slab might have lasted forever. But I really like the look of a post and beam house. Especially out in the country! Slab houses seem too short when they're sitting all alone on an acre or two.

Assuming the project doesn't kill us, we will begin a second house for my wife and I toward the rear of the property sometime next year. I think I'm going to be broke and sore for a long time. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Keith Foster
    Katy and Yoakum, TX

Been away on an unexpected business trip, but was still able to get some work done before I left. Glad you all carried the conversation along without me.

But here are a couple of pics. Not quite where I hoped to be at this time, but we're not too far behind schedule. Ran into some headaches along the way. Lag bolts in the concrete too low. Replace the walkout corner frame with a 8x8 block for added integrity. Some rain. Some hot hot days, but all in all we're pleased with the progress.