Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merit of impounded water?

Re: Merit of impounded water?

Sounds similar to what I had - 30 foot farm pond that had filled in over the years so it was only 3-4 feet deep. I hired an excavator for $100/ho with operator. Took him 6 hours to enlarge and deepen to 10 foot depth about 45 feet across round. If you can't go much larger you could always go deeper, especially if you have a use for the spoils elsewhere on your property or can use them to grade the perimiter of the pond.

You could set it up as a grassy "retention pond" that only holds storm water for a specified period as it can slowly drain out through fixed diameter orifices. That would enable you to graze it when the pond is dry and yet be a flood-preventer that would keep neighborhood relations on the positive side. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We have a similar situation. Once in a blue moon the little detention (retention) area next to the grassy dike ponds up and sometimes takes a half-day to drain away. We mow the whole thing easily, it's never that muddy for very long. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    As it is I would estimate it to be maybe 20'x30', and if it were filled to the brim might be all of 5 or 6 feet deep in some parts, and much less for the most part. So how much water would it hold - not a lot relative to the scale of what most farms seem to be working with.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 x 30 = 600 x6=3600 x 7.481 ( 1 cu ft = gallons) =26,931.6 gallons, if my fingers hit all the buttons correct [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Greg, Just a couple of thoughts about your pond. You should check www.PONDBOSS.COM and ask some questions over there. A number of pond management professionals contribute on that forum and it has a nice atmosphere like here and TBN.

I was also wondering what the ramifications, if any, there are to you if this pond is the main run off retention area and you fill it. Is it possible that with out a retention area your pastures would be negatively effected or your neighbor's property affected? I would hate to find that without the pond every big rain flooded your neighbors garage and they felt it was you fault.

MarkV