Thread: Ash...any value?

Ash...any value?

Not sure if this is in the right section or not....

Now that I'm spending time clearing lots of brush, overgrowth, and 10+ years of neglected growth, I've been doing lots of burning. The result of which is that I am accumulating a fair amount of ash.

So the question is - what do I do with it? Should it be incorporated into my growing mulch pile, or is there something better to do with it?

I've already learned that about everything has some use, just not sure what the right one for this is....

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Ash...any value?

Ash is good, it is carbon. (nitrogen, phosphorus, potash (NPK) in fertilizer). County extension agent could probably tell you the correct ratio for your area. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Re: Ash...any value?

I seem to recall ash being real good to use on ice in the winter. I know this isn't exactly timely, but something to remember come fall. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi, new to the forum but I've been doing some research for our own land use. One thing to note, be careful with applying too much ash to any one area, it can really raise your pH levels and if you're planting a specific crop, might adversely affect how things grow the next season.

As for the ice use....it sure does! All our fireplace ash gets used on the drive and walkway. Although this year with so little snow I've got quite the build up.

Ash is good if it is not applied directly on top of the root. Mix the ash with soil so that concentration of the ash will be decreased. I had an experience of placing ashes on top of the roots when I was little and the plant withered.

This has been interesting to read. I had heard similar things but didn't know for sure, so hearing the confirmation was nice to learn. I need to mention this to a friend as we were talking about it recently.

yes it has a N-P-K value of about 0-1-3 , and modifies the ph of soil like lime.
    here is a nice writeup..
    http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/bestwoodash.html