Thread: Resurrecting an old Jeep?

Resurrecting an old Jeep?

When we acquired our mountain property a few years ago, we also got our fair share of "stuff" (mostly junk to haul off). One item worth keeping is a low mileage 1975 Jeep 4x4 Wagoneer stored in a shed. I have title and keys, but have not had time to mess with it, and what with building a cabin and all this year, am not likely to any time real soon. It is, however, a true classic worth resurrecting. Previous owner said it ran fine when parked, but that was seven or eight years ago!!

I know enough not to just put a new battery in her and fire her up, but, as the old saying goes, a little knowledge can be dangerous.

My basic thoughts are to first drain all the gas and fluids, check and likely replace most if not all hoses and belts, check the brakes, etc. I've also heard of some special lubricants made to help restore old engines. I'm not planning to tackle this tomorrow, but would like to gather info so when I do get around to it we're as well prepared as possible.

Thoughts, insights, recommendations?

Sabi

Re: Resurrecting an old Jeep?

Change the oil, coolant and try to drain the gas and change it for fresh. Then fire her up. Save all the other stuff until after you see if it runs.

"It ran just fine when I parked it" is alot like "the brakes are good, they just need adjusting." (Two wheel cylinders, drums, pads and shoes, one caliper, master cylinder and vacuum booster and 30 feet of brake line later, the truck would stop.)

Steve

<font color="blue"> Two wheel cylinders, drums, pads and shoes, one caliper, master cylinder and vacuum booster and 30 feet of brake line later, the truck would stop </font color>

LOL. I hear you, SteveO. In this case, there was no sales job and the price was right, but a lurking fear is that it will run fine, but perhaps not stop! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

If it was me, I'd go this route:

Check the oil - if its full, and looks in useable condition, check the oil at the bottom of the pan for water by loosening the drain plug just enough to let some dribble out (water will settle at the bottom) - no water, then go with it for now.

Check the coolant level - don't change it, just be sure theres enough of something in the radiator to keep it cooled.

Check the fuel level - if its over 1/2 tank, and seems in poor condition (smell is a good indicator here), try to drain it down to at least 1/4 tank. Siphoning is probably the easiest. If its less than 1/2 tank I's just add new gas to dilute it, adding at least 10 gallons or so.

Then get it running. I'd bet that if the storage was reasonably weathertight, and the Jeep isn't infested with rodents, simply spraying a little carb cleaner in the carb throat (simply cleaning the carb really well works great for this) and a fresh battery will get it going. By 1975 everything had electronic ignition (Jeeps used Ford's system) and if you get fuel, you'll probably have spark.

Then I'd give it a careful road test to be sure it'll stop. And then take it right to the closest reputable shop and have it thouroughly checked out, with particular attention paid to the frame, especially in the rear near the trailer hitch assembly.

These things rotted like no tomorrow.

THEN if it looked OK I'd spend money on oil, coolant, tune-up, etc.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!