Thread: 18 hp Kawasaki

18 hp Kawasaki

I have a 18 hp Kawasaki motor for my lawn tractor. Need help been experiencing a loss of power, plugs fouling up and some black smoke. I cleaned the carb as best as I could. changed out plugs, opened up drain screw near carb to empty out the gas in the line, checked fuel filter. Still no changes, what do i need to do next. Looked around the motor and for some reason there is a governor. I just need a little bit more power to run my deck. Don't know much about engines but I try, didn't pay much attention to Dad when he was in the garage, thought the stuff he was trying to teach me was lame, boy am I regretting that. Ithinking about draining entire fuel system maybe I got some bad gas or will fuel additive do the trick. Please help don't want to take it to a shop, want the satisfaction of fixing it myself.

Re: 18 hp Kawasaki

Have you changed the air filter? Sounds like it might be running rich.

Steve

My father in Law has a kawasaki on a JD riding mower. The throttle was messed up and at the high RPM setting it was actually putting into choking setting. I adjusted the cable so that full throttle was just a bit less than full throttle and now choke is correct too. The way it works is crapy i thought. Its a fine line between full throtle and choke.
    Larry

no I did not changed the filter, i blew some compressed air through it, I ran the engine with and without the air filter, spraying carb cleaner thru it, still no change. if its running rich how do I make it run leaner. I tinkered with a couple of screws and levers around the carb really know change to the motor. But I did find some type of throttle but it has a governor. Does anyone know of a web sote where I could get my hands ona manual. The manual the mower came with keeps telling me to take it to the dealer, go figure.

Some of the engine manufacturers have repair manuals on their websites, some do not. You might look for something like a Haynes or Chiltons manual at the local autoparts.

Here is a link to Kawasaki Kawasaki

I have also bought parts and manuals for my tecumseh from these guys tulsaenginewarehouse

I have also seen manuals (sometimes on CD) on eBay. Do a search on Kawasaki

Steve

Is this a 2 cyl, liquid-cooled engine??

If it is, check the coils. I had a 18hp Kaw engine in a JD285. Sounds like the same symptoms I had when one coil was bad. First time it happened under warranty. Dealer came out and picked up and replaced one of the coils. It happened again a few years later, I just bought the part and replaced it myself. Easy job.

Jim

<font color="blue"> experiencing a loss of power, plugs fouling up and some black smoke. </font color>

First thing I would do is rebuild the carb. What you are describing is too much fuel dumping into the cylinders. This can be caused by the needle valve sticking. Spraying carb cleaner into the carb will not correct it. As previously suggested check the Kaw site for a schematic on the carb. If not one of the online parts sites will have it on their site.
    Mike

Sounds to me like a bent valve. Those engines are notorious for doing that. It's usually on the side that's fouling the plug.