Thread: am I nuts to consider this truck?

am I nuts to consider this truck?

My brother and sister in law bird-dogged a truck for me, thinking I might be able to put it to good use on our farm. My sster in law called it "cute". Although they didn't know much about it they said it was kind of big and has stake sides. I went to have a look...turns out it is an 1983 M35 duece and a half with fold down sides and tailgate....turbo diesel . It is clean as a whistle and the seller claims it has only 10k miles...says when he bought it from the military the engine was in the bed and he reassembled with new fuel pump and such and it now runs great. We could actually put it to good use for a while, but would have to make some changes....such as adding a dump bed and power steering. Price seems fair enough at 8k. Any caveats or advice?

Re: am I nuts to consider this truck?

Military stuff is cool for sure!

One thing though is the price - if it is in great shape, maybe 8K is good, but based on some very quick searching, I found them going for several thousand cheaper. I've put some links below in case you wanted to check 'em out.

First link

Second link

(If we were talking Jeeps, I could be more help. Sorry. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Wasabi -- You'll find some great info on those old trucks at http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/

Pete

If you want a military truck, look for auctions at the bases. Fort Jackson usually is the place that most auctions are held.