Thread: Anyone using the clicker to train?

Anyone using the clicker to train?

I have been training my mule with a clicker. It really gets him focused and has made a great difference on how we interact. Here is a link if you want to read about clicking.

http://www.equusite.com/articles/tra...licker01.shtml

Administrator

Re: Anyone using the clicker to train?

Where do you purchase the "clickers"?

I have been looking all over for those little "cricket" or "frog" shaped clickers we used as kids. I can't find them except on EBay for $25 each!!! Anyone know where to get them for .99 cents?
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

They sell them at pet stores such as Petco for around a buck or so.

Looks like you can order the on the Internet from PetSmart for $1.49 plus S&H.

Administrator

Thanks Boone & Bird. There is a Petsmart right next to Trader Joe's where I shop often (in Tucson). I'll drop in there today. The price is right! Thanks a bunch!
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Clicking is good, and popular. But...any sound or other stimulus works equally as well. Even silent (hand signals) work well with dogs. I can direct my wife's K-9 partner using hand signals alone, which she has trained the dog for. I dare say I would have no idea about how to do this training, but it is often done, and K-9 Stryker and I can connect with no spoken commands.

In fact, the remainder of our canine menagerie( 4 sighthounds) also understand hand signals for the most basic obedience chores. Again, kudos to my wife for the training.

I agree with you about the stimulus input can be anything, but that clicker noise hits that mule like an electric shock (not to say I use electric shock on the mule, ) and it really refocuses what he is thinking about.