Thread: Well Water Treatment for Horse Barn Usage

Well Water Treatment for Horse Barn Usage

Hi Everyone -

First post on CBN, but I have been using TBN and doing my fair share of reading. These forums are the best, and I am confident the group will be able to help me out !! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am remodeling an old barn, and adding a wash stall, hot water heater, washer/dryer, utility sink, and automatic stall waterers. There is an existing hydrant in the barn from the well. I will contract to have plumbing laid in gravel after excavation and before pouring concrete, but for now I have a planning question.

In my house, there is equipment to remove iron and purify the well water. I don't want to have nasty deposits in the barn appliances. So... what are some inexpensive and effective ways to treat my barn water? Does everyone treat their water, or do most accept iron stains? I am looking for both the cheapest and/or the best ways to accomplish the task.

Oh, and just to add to the challenge...the wife has only allotted a very small room for laundy and utilities - got to leave lots of room for the horses... So I have to keep the elements of the treatment system small, or light enough to raise them up on a shelf or something.

Re: Well Water Treatment for Horse Barn Usage

I do not treat the water to the barn. Although, I do not have a hot water heater in my barn either. Iron is the biggest killer of a hot water heater. Depending on how much you want to spend... I would put a $400.00 Sears water softener in line. The unit has the salt and brine tank combined into one. This limits the space consumption and plumbing since you have one line in and one line out for everything. With that said, the amount of iron you are trying to remove may limit all possibilities. Water softeners can only remove a certain amount of iron. There is also the discussion on what type of iron. Clear water iron or actual rusty water.

Good luck,

Joe

Are you sure the hydrant comes off the well and not from the house after the filter unit ? Water softeners add a trace amount of salt to the water. This site was the best I could find for help and answers. filters Good luck.

I went through this. The iron and such doesn't harm horses or cattle at all. To remove iron a water softener probably won't do it as you probably have too much iron in your system if you are noticing it making stains. You need to add an iron filter as well and these are pricey. My plumbers price just for the iron filter alone was $700. Retail was $1200. You have to get a big enough system to handle the iron in the water. If you get too little system you will ruin your water softener.

Personally I would just leave it. You always add it in later after you see what how it will be.

I would make sure where you water is coming from. If your barn is by your house it is very doubtful you have two separate wells. The water will go from you well to a holding tank. From there it will be fed out to the house, barns, etc. If you already have a softener and iron filtration system in your house this is all a moot point. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You may have to re-plumb in the house a bit. Generally outdoor water would not go through the softener. I have one hydrant that dose because it went to a trailer thats long gone. The horses seem to prefer the soft water !!!!

Thanks to all for the replies. I can't really tell if there are stains currently, because the water in the barn is draining into a dirt floor.

I will definitely check on whether the water comes via the house or not. The barn is quite far from the house, so I would be surprised if it was treated already.

I like the idea of a one-piece unit from Sears for $400 much better than a $700 dollar iron filtration unit. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But, I am grateful to have some background on the different items that may be required. Being a country rookie, I may be too concerned over nothing...

But with the automatic waterers, I am reluctant to take the wait-and-see approach... it could get costly.

I will update the forum when I get some more info on the water system layout. Thanks for the advice!

BTW, I will be starting a major renovation, and I will get some pics together to share. Wish me luck!

Have you talked to your vet about the effect on the horses of drinking soft water? Mikell says his horses like it, but my personal experience with drinking classic salt softened water is that it tastes horrible. My parents go outside to an untreated faucet to get untreated water for drinking.

Kevin