Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Bathroom

Re: Shop Bathroom

From your description it sounds like your line from the bathroom is 3", and you want to use a septic field that is higher in elevation than the workshop bathroom. I suspect you will be using a sewage ejector pump, not a sump pump. The sewage ejector pump accepts sewage from a 3" line, chews up solids, and then ejects through a 2" line. I believe the 2" 'T' your tank installer used is correct. You will also have to be sure the ejector pump is vented. I would buy the proper pump and determine pipe sizing before you invest much time in plumbing new lines or ripping out old.

Chris

If you're talking about the line from the house to the septic tank, I think a minimum of a quarter inch drop per foot of pipe is the recommended standard. But someone else may know more than I, and if so, feel free to correct me.

Of course if you're talking about the lateral lines; i.e., the perforated pipe in the drain field, you certainly do not want that much slope. I'm not sure but think it may be a maximum of a quarter inch per 10' of pipe.

Now someone else tell me if my memory is still working. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

It all depends on your code and inspection situation. 1/4" per foot is considered optimal, 1/8" per foot is acceptable. I have a line I put in at 1/4" per 10 feet over 50 feet and I haven't had a problem from it in 5 years. When I asked the local water district inspector what he looked for in the way of drop he told me " some drop". We have a lot of very high sewer lines around here and a lot of times they won't support 1/4" per foot. The biggest reason for 1/4 " per foot drop is that no matter how well you bed the pipe when you install it the ground can shift and give you high spots in the pipe. 1/4" gives you a little room for error.

Thanks for the info!

Here's another, related question.

I'm wanting to tie a line into my existing septic for a sink and 1/2 bath in a studio I'm going to build for my wife. I think that with a 1/4" per foot, the studio will be plenty close to the septic.

I have a decent idea where the sewer line is that comes from the house because there is a cleanout in the front yard about 30 feet from the septic tank.

So if I go out and start digging (with a shovel, not a back hoe!) on the cut-out side of the septic tank looking for the where the sewer line enters the tank, is there any risk that I'll hit the field lines _first_? Are the field/lateral lines lower or higher than the sewer line? Anything I need to watch out for?

Any problem with just putting a tee in the sewer line and piggy backing the one septic for both the house and studio? We'll not overload the septic tank as there's just the two of us and the studio bath will be for occasional use only.

I ask about the chance of hitting a field line first because I don't know where mine are! I bought the house used and don't know what direction the field lines run from the tank. We've never seen any of the tell-tale "nice gree strips of grass" to give us a hint where the field lines run...

Many thanks.

What a great forum!

In my area, Warren County Missouri, the Health Department signs off on all septic installations. This includes a drawing of the tank location and field location. You might check with the Health Department in your county or city to see if they have any records. At the very least they might have a record of who installed the system, and they might have a diagram.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?