Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an Old Sears Plan Barn

Building an Old Sears Plan Barn

I recently saw the Gambrell Roof barn I would like to build. It's an old barn that Sears sold plans for in the 1920's. You can see them at http://www.thebarnjournal.org/storie...012/index.html

Has anyone ever done this? I don't really care that it could cost more than building a pole barn. I believe the esthetics merit transmission to the next generation. However, I lack the construction skills to tackle this one myself.

Obviously, there may be certain changes necessary because code or materials dictate them. For the most part though, I would like to remain as true to the original designs as possible.

Where could I get the blueprints for this?

I would appreciate any insight the group could give.
    Thanks

Re: Building an Old Sears Plan Barn

Wooo. Tough one.

Those barns came as kits. You'd have to manufacture the parts yourself I suspect, and post and beam joinery is not something you do while reading the instructions, nor is it something you learn overnight.

There's a slim chance a collector might have an original set of blueprints/instructions for one that you could copy, but I'd expect finding that person would be quite a challenge.

I'd love to have a post and beam barn myself if I had the financial resources, and I commend you for wanting to perpetuate them.

My best guess as to how to go about it would be to contact a contractor in your area that does post and beam construction. It's becoming very popular again. In fact there's a gorgeous post and beam inn being built a couple towns over from me. The owner obviously has VERY deep pockets, there's been a crew working on it 6 days a week since last fall, right through the winter.

It's not that complicated to do. I have a barn similiar to this one. We redid it a couple years ago. Any architect or blueprint agency could make you a set of plans for it. You could just find a barn contractor and they would have no problem building that barn for you. In our area the Amish build barns like that all the time. Depending on where you are find an Amish clan and contract them to build it for you. The barn raising itself is a piece of history from 100 years ago.

As the others have said, anythings possible if you don't mind the extra effort it might take. I recently went here barn and it is amazing how this one was built.

If you really want to be true to the original design, do some more research to try to find original plans. Not sure where to send you for that, but the internet is a pretty amazing place. Another option would be to hire a local architect/designer and give him the pictures you've collected. He'll be able to come up with a modern design (buildable) that should be a pretty faithful representation of the original. You'll also get a full set of plans that any builder should be able to follow [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rob

Check the Amish. There are still Amishers that build and restore these types of barns. I would also think that any contractor capable of constructing a timber frame home would be able to duplicate the original or at least come close. And yes, cost will be considerably more than a pole barn.

Steve

Check out "barnplans.com" - they sell plans to build trusses for traditional gambrel barns. This won't be as "romantic" as a true post & beam - but it can turn out to be a nice barn.

<font color="green"> I believe the esthetics merit transmission to the next generation. </font color>

Whoa! Not only did I understand that, I agree with it!

Country Carpenters has a nice site. We have found more plans and pictures of traditional styled new construction here than anywhere else on the web so far. Proportions are very critical; many plans just don't acheive the proper proportions. Of course, our grandfathers didn't care a bit about that - they just wanted to keep stuff dry. There is a gambrel link under "country barns" that you may like. Their "How to get started" &amp; FAQ links may also be of interest to you.

We are in the same thought process, only trying to fit outbuildings on 4 acres without a industrial/commercial appearance. Looks like we need to keep roof heights and building widths under control. Your property size would better fit a large barn. Keep us posted.

Thanks for not pointing out that I misspelled aesthetics.
    The Country Carpenters site has some really nice work.
    They did point out to me that their barns do not use mortise and tenons. I am not sure how critical that would be to my success, but there is also the issue of what my grandchildren will see and one of the points of the project was transmit a sustainable architecture to go with the agriculture.

Thanks for assuming I was smart enough to notice you misspelled it!

I hear your desires loud and clear, regarding how you want to invest your resources for your family. When we build, it will most likely be a traditionally proportioned design with stick framing methods. Those methods will yield lasting results. If you desire to stay with older ways, I would suggest looking up AndyR on TBN, who is involved in timber framing. I don't know if he is registered on CBN. I've written him on TBN, and maybe he'll wander over here and look this thread up. Maybe there are others here who can jump into the timber framing discussion.