Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fence Post advice

Fence Post advice

Guys:
    I have about 5 acres to fence in and need some advice on the fence posts. I have a sawyer that will sell me Hemlock 4X4 posts, and I would like to know if they are the proper wood to use. Should I hold out and try to get OAK? Is there a difference in the service life of one Vs the other? I was told that the Hemlock should work out OK, but I would appreciate any info on what others have used, and how Hemlock seems to hold up.

Thanks

Re: Fence Post advice

I don't know about hemlock, but my neighbor used untreated oak posts. Two years later you could snap them off with one finger.

Where are you?

I wouldn't use anything but cedar up here - 2.50$ (CDN) per post, sharpened (minimum 4" diameter).

A neighbor got his hands on some maple 4x4's. He soaked the ends in oil for 2-3 weeks. That was 2 years ago. They're almost all broken now.

I am in Upstate NY (Saratoga region). The ground that they are going into is fairley sandy and well drained. I heard LOCUST was the best to use but there is none to be had at the local sawyer. It seems that the local sawyer says that the Oak he can get comes from down south and that the native local stuff is to spindly. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in northern VT so my weather is probably the same as yours. Hemlock does well in constant exposure to moisture, but it tends to develop shakes (comes apart at the growth rings), so is not the best choice for fencing. Oak will rot very quickly if not treated. Around here we use good old cedar. Cheap and lasts several years.

Pete

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about the shake info. I am going to check tomorrow with another sawyer to see if they have any additional varieties of wood posts. I have been told that one old trick is to drill a small hole diagonally into the base of the post once it is in the ground, and pour diesel fuel into the hole to infiltrate the base. This supposedly keeps the rot away [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Just curious, why don't you just get some PT CCA posts?

I am checking into that. I think that to get 4X4 by 8' PT posts is going to be alot more money than the 4X4 hemlock. I see that Tractor Supply has 4 inch posts for $5.79 each. Those are round post, and the ones at the local sawyer are square. I think the square ones will look nicer and be easier to attach boards to. I guess I will have to check with this other sawyer tomorrow to see what he has. I was also thinking of going to Lowes and Home depot (They are across the street from each other) to see what they want for a bunch of the PT 4X4 by 8' posts....

The Menards here has 4x4 treated posts with 20 year rot guarantee for $4.97 each. They are the square ones.

The 4x4x8 go for about $5 at HD down here in CT. They could only be cheaper up your way. Get the .40 CCA treated posts and they'll last 20-30 years easy.

I wouldn't go near that special Thompson's treated stuff they sell at HD for fence posts. But they sell regular CCA .40 treated posts too.

When you add in how much work it takes to put in and replace posts it seems hard to beat the PT posts. I'd gladly pay twice as much for a post that'll last twice as long in the ground. Think about it [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]