Thread: Hey Gary in Indiana...

Hey Gary in Indiana...

Tools come in a lot of shapes and sizes...

Gary, I believe you can appreciate this tool I'm going to North Carolina to pick up Monday. Check out the attatchment [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Hey Gary in Indiana...

A Western Star out of Canada! Not only a beautiful truck but, in my humble opinion, the best truck on the road through the nineties, also. They were bought out by Freightliner about three years ago. A good friend of mine lost his franchise in the process so I don't know if the high quality has continued in their production. I hope so. They were always great trucks.

Gary,

I believe this truck is a Canadian truck built, but won't find out until Monday.

Freightliner was pretty much told to leave W/Star alone, so I don't think things will change as they will continue to be a hand built truck.

This truck is a 2001 5964 EX with 281K miles and a 525 N14 setup to 1850 foot # torque backed with a 13 spd OD and 3.55 40K # rears (setup to do 102 mph [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]
    76" double bunk sleeper with a 265" wheel base [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Everything has been finalized today, tomorrow I go to the bank and Monday I sign the papers and I'm in debt for 4 yrs [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I checked on out a W/Star today for giggles to see how I fit in the truck and I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to learn how to drive all over again [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The last 10 yrs I've either driven a Volvo or my T600 with set back axle and short sloped hood... This thing has a hood like a long nose pete and I'm sure a turning radius of a freight train... Never mind its been over 11 yrs since I've played with a 13 Over drive. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

They're all still Canadian built. If yours is a 2001 it's very early in Freightliner's ownership so it'll still be a real Western Star even if they were intent on making changes.

It sure sounds like a nice unit. I think you'll be very happy with it. You were talking about the hood length on the Star and comparing with the Pete 379-127. Believe it or not, the hood on the long hood KW is actually longer than the Pete. Just a little truck trivia for you. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Gary, a couple of questions for you... I like trucks, always have but never been in that part of the industry.

What are the pros/cons of cabover versus conventional? Seems the wheelbase difference is huge, right? I see some cabovers running set-back front axles which shortens it even more. If that is desireable, why do some still run the long wheelbase conventionals?

And at the other end of the rig, what's with the sliding axles on some trailers? Why some and not all? How do you know which position to use?

Just curious, and you seem to be in the know. Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

You've got it. The pro is the shorter turning radius. On the other hand, the ride is terrible, getting to the engine entails tilting the entire cab forward which means anything not tied down is all over the place inside and, my personal favorite, you're always the first one to the wreck. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] You can tell I'm not a fan of cabovers over the road but for local delivery vehicles they're tough to beat.

The big advantages of a conventional are the ride and the ability to have a large, integrated sleeper. They are way move comfortable and the sleepers can allow you to walk though from cab to sleeper, stand up, change clothes, etc. Each style has it's place in the industry.

As to sliding axles on trailers, let me answer your last question first where much the same thing applies. They're not on all trailers because they cost more money than fixed axles and they're not needed on all trailers. If I'm buying trailers to haul my freight only and I know what it is and how it's going to be loaded I can order the axles where they'll scale the load properly. If I'm not certain of my loads, I'll spend the extra money for a sliding tandem (and sliding fifth wheel on the tractor) so I can shift weight from axle to axle truck to trailer and meet weight requirements at scales. It really all depends on what you're hauling. A foam maker or potato chip company couldn't have less need for a sliding tandem or sliding fifth wheel for their products, for example. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

As to knowing which position to use on a heavier load, as with many things, there's no substitute for experience. There are, of course, scales to use to check your weight, too. Between a sliding fifth wheel and sliding tandems on your trailer, you can change the way your truck scales dramatically. You can, for example, shift weight from front to rear on your tractor and/or shift it from tractor to trailer. Obviously, if you're just hauling too much weight, there's nothing either can do to help you, though. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Admittedly, there is a lot more to say about most of this, but I hope I've given you a basic outline here that answers your questions. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Trailers

I thinks what he was asking about trailer axles (I could be wrong) is the difference/benifits between a tandem and a spread.

A tandem (Most Van Type trailer) have a sliding axle body to where you can adjust your weight as Gary suggested. Also you have a maximum legal limit of only 34,000 lbs.
    By sliding your axle all the way forward, you have shortened the trailer length in a sense which allows you to manuver in tight places. The only down fall is tail swing... that is the part of the trailer past the last axle on the trailer. This can get you in trouble if your not carefull as it can catch/hit objects if your making a tight turn.

A Spread axle type suspension (as I have on my trailer) all are a minimum of 10' spread allowing you to have 40,000 lbs on the rear suspension of the trailer. Most guys have a air dump on one or both of the axles to relieve stress on the suspension when making a turn.

I personally prefer a spread axle configuration due to the fact that for me it allows for a better ride as the front axle helps support more of the weight towards the center of the trailer thus reducing flexing of the trailer resulting in a better ride.

When it comes to wheel bases on tractors.. generally the longer the wheel base, the better the ride... just like in a car.

The only disadvantage of a long wheel base application is manuverabillity. Some people just don't seem to understand that a truck and a trailer is like taking a 7 story building, laying it on its side and putting wheels on it. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

My old truck had a 230" wheel base and my new truck will have a 265" wheel base. The difference of course is 3 feet. This will cause me to have to make wider swings when turning (as much as 10') and I'll need more room to manuver when positioning myself to get loaded or parked. Myold setup I was 68' long, now I'll be at best 71'.. maybe even 72' if I have problems with my mudflap hangers catching my trailer frame [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

So you see, when we make turns (especially right turns) and you find yourself having to back up out of the way or moving... It isn't because we can't drive, It is because itis the room that is require by the equipment (truck&trailer). Of course a little driver knowledge goes a long way too... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm not trying to advertise, but I am a moderator on a trucking website called Trucks Only The site has been around a long time, but the message board is relativly new.

Thanks Gary and Handyman. You both obviously know much more about this than I would ever need to but my idle curiosity has been satisfied. And of course it all makes perfect sense now that you have explained it.

Now, about those 11 axle "Michigan Trains"... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Those are for a bit heavier loads, to say the least. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, those are not a lot of fun to pull making a tight turn with a full load. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] In that kind of situation, as with a spread axle, the trick is to get as few wheels making contact with pavement when you're turning. Otherwise, you'll be looking at a lot of black chunks when you pull away. Some will be asphalt, others will be rubber from your tires. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Lots of good info there! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Heck, I think I'll go on over to the interstate to a truck stop this evenin' and see if anyone needs an extra driver. I've got the CDL; I just need some fancier boots and a nice conventional to sit in. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    CJDave