Thread: Pump Enclosure

Pump Enclosure

I just bought 10 acres of farm land in Central California. The well pump and control switches have a rough wooden enclosure which I plan to replace because it's about ready to break into 1000 pieces.

Are these enclosures just to keep rain and water off of the pump and switch assembly? They look like they could actually do just fine out in the open. And I don't understand why they covered the pump but not the pressure tank. I'd be willing to cover both if there was a benefit. Or cover neither if it does not serve a purpose.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Martin

Re: Pump Enclosure

From what I was told by my well guy, the most important thing it does is protect the electrical wiring and kids that might play with the wires. Keeping it covered also keeps things from rusting so fast. In most locations, code requires a cover.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Mine isn't covered. One purpose of a cover is to protect pipes and tank from freezing. But I heard (not substantiated) that my tank is actually insulated and freezing is not problem. I don't really believe that but in my area only pipes will freeze. Tank has too much volume to freeze unless it sat with no use for days. Another reason is it looks better (uh, depends on your cover). But also, for me anyway, I'd rather work on it in the open, than in a wellhouse that spiders likely will take over. Snakes like them too. I've also considered a small doghouse sized box over well and controls, and leave tank outside.

In many places you can't get by with an exposed pressure tank. It will freeze and maybe explode. I have mine inside the garage. No spiders or snakes......ok well at least no snakes on a good day...

Fred

Actually, SLO, the real reason to cover the pump and it's related gear in Central California is to keep the PRESSURE SWITCH from freezing. The little quarter-inch pipe nipple and the diaphram above it will freeze [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and either wreck the switch, [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or it will hold it open and you'll be outa water. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] In my twenty years of being a pump guy in CA I have seen many pump bodies blown apart by freezin'. Some guys use a small enclosure...the smaller the better....with a light bulb inside if they live in some of the colder areas of the homo-controlled, democrat-dominated, fiscally prostrate, immigrant-choked state of "Upper Mexico". [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave