Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raising Guineas

Re: Raising Guineas

Much noise. Massive poops. They roost where their poop can do the most damage, regardless of where you want them to roost. Did I mention the noise? Pete

LOL! I had a big RIR rooster that used to chase joggers down my private road. Used to read in the local paper's police blotter about it. "A trespasser was attacked by a chicken on Luce Hill."

Finally lost that old rooster when he put himself between his flock and an attacking greyhound. The dog lost an eye and had several huge lacerations before he managed to kill the rooster. That was one very impressive bird!

Pete

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A peacock, will kill you if they get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we bought our place in the country, the neighbors behind us had several chickens, several guineas, one pea hen, and one peacock. Something (coyotes most likely) gradually, over a period of several months, killed all of them but the peacock. That peacock never bothered anyone except the guy who owned it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] For reasons unknown, it would attack him frequently but never come near anyone else. Then one day he and I were going to bale hay. He got on his Farmall Super H, pulling the hay rake, and took off down their long driveway with the peacock chasing him, running alongside the right rear wheel of the tractor. I took off right behind him on the Oliver, pulling the baler. Of course, we had both tractors in high gear and weren't wasting any time, and I was laughing at the peacock trying to get to him on the tractor. Then suddenly the peacock stopped, let the hay rake pass, and cut across left right in front of me without looking back. There was a pretty good thump when he went under the left front wheel of the Oliver [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and that was the end of the peacock. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Which raises the question: Are peacocks good to eat? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Chris

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Are peacocks good to eat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, Chris. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I have a few game chickens running around the homestead (with an assortment of other breeds of chickens) but the old guineas are pretty aggresive at times,about 4 or 5 zeroed in on a game rooster and had him backing towards the wood pile,one guinea would try to peck the game rooster and he would flog and try to spur the guinea and another guinea would try to get him...the old rooster flogged and spurred his way backwards from the guineas,not really sure which one to fight(never turning his back on them once)finally he stood at the top of a log,not knowing what to make of the guineas.I guess he knew he was out numbered,you fight one you fight the whole family.