Thread: Basement walls

Basement walls

It has rained at least every three days if not everyday since the middle of April here. They have had one heck of a time laying the block for the basement. Hard to catch the block dry enough. Good news is that the hole stays almost completely dry and drains super. Question is what would you all reccomend coating the block with on the outside?

Patrick

Re: Basement walls

Poorboy, I know a lot of builders spray some type of 'black tar like material' on the outside of the basement walls but the interior walls still get wet. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I really question how good this product is. A friend of mine got heavy plastic (not sure of the thickness) and literally wrapped the exterior of his house. He wrapped it twice, never once had water seeping through the block wall. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I know there is a product called RUB'R'WALL (sp?) that is sprayed on and stays very pliable to expand over any cracks, unknown the cost, but I'm sure it is more than the black stuff. I also heard of a good idea where you use the blue foam board on the exterior walls. You stand them up side by side against the wall then split one length wise and place that across the seam to prevent water infiltration. The foam does two things, helps keep water out and also insulates the basement. Good luck, please keep me informed on what you decide to do.

Poorboy, check out www.tripleacoatings.com go to rub-r-wall plus

Some very interesting reading here. Good luck!!

What we did on ours was to roll on regular (non-fibred) roof coating (tar). Into that we pressed 6 or 8 mil Ag plastic, and taped all the seams. When it had set up enough, we placed another coat of roof tar and went over top of it with 1 to 3" of pink foam. It's a messy job, and the tar, plastic and foam needs to wrap over the top of the footing. We also ran a length of sock tube and gravel around the footing and looped it out to a lower spot in the yard as a just in case. The best waterproofing won't do any good if the hole gets too much water.

Steve