Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Safe" foliage killer

\"Safe\" foliage killer

Does anyone know of something I can spray on grass and weeds that is safe for use around dogs. I seem to remember something about vinegar, but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work and can't remember if you can mix it with water to get more coverage. I have quite a bit of stuff I need to kill off and am hoping to find something I can spray using a garden hose.

Thanks for any advice

Re: \"Safe\" foliage killer

Hot, hot, hot water is the only "safe" thing I know of. Most all herbicides would not be friendly to pets. Boil some water and put in a watering/sprinkling can and pour over weeds, they can't take that kind of heat.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Thanks for the response, Gary. I'll wait for a nice sunny day again and give it a try. Maybe I'll even mix some vinegar in for good measure. You sure can't get much safer than water.

Fred

I tried one of those homemade recipes as a vegetation killer but didn't have very good luck. It used equal parts gin, vinegar, and liquid dish detergeant. Didn't seem to work too well and I wasted an ounce of good gin!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I went back to roundup

I used one of those propane torch ice melter/weed killers.

Works fine on isolated weeds that are in gravel or in cracks in the cement but don't try to burn out a weed in the middle of some dry grass [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I stopped by the local Agway yesterday and they told me that they thought Roundup was safe. I'm going to call their 800 # Monday. The person working at the Agway told me that Roundup was more or less accidentally discovered while trying to make a soap. That's why phosphates are among the ingredients.
    I can't believe the price of the concentrated stuff.

We usually buy the ultra in the 2.5 gallon concentrate for around $170. But the it is by far cheaper than the smaller sizes. But like everything else it depends on how much you need.

Patrick

How about that, Roundup IS safe once it has dried. So is the Ortho Triox Vegetation killer which I already have. They told me that a pet would have to eat a large quantity of grass and weeds once it has dried to show any affect. Unfortunately, it needs to be sprayed from a bottle due to the concentration mixture. I was hoping to use a garden hose sprayer.
    I still may try the vinegar and hot water in one area just to see what happens.

Checked this evening and the price was $140 on the 2.5 gallon roundup.

Just remember, Roundup is non-selective.... it will kill what it contacts!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Another one is Reward... about the same price. It turns the bad stuff brown in 24 hours, not 6 days like Roundup. That's why it's best to use a pump sprayer or some type of dipping wick for the non-selective herbicides. A gallon of concentrate will last me 3 years or better. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!