Thread: Water Wheels and Mill Houses

Water Wheels and Mill Houses

Anyone here built a water wheel and Mill house? More for landscape decoration than practicality - I've seen plans on the net and I'm just curious if anyone's built one or both.

Re: Water Wheels and Mill Houses

Take a look here. Looks great.mill house

Yep, but I don't admit it to many people because they always ask why? I am on a second generation underflow design with a 6 foot wheel below a concrete dam. I am looking for mill house designs that I like. Other than the obvious of power generation I have yet to figure out what is good for. Ideas I am enertaining are, rock tumbler to annoy my neighbor and music box to annoy everyone. I'm open to new ideas. If you have any links to old millhouse pictures I sure would appreciate it.

mills
    Sawmill maybe?

Thanks, I like that wheel design. Wish I had enough head for the overshoot wheel. I toured an old millhouse in Urbana Ohio that was way cool but it doesn't scale to my application very well and my memory for details is not so good. The following link is from Home Power magazine. The Homestead article is really interesting, if you are looking for electic power generation.

Water Power

Haven't decided if I want to install a new waterfall and bog garden or a millhouse/waterwheel. Either one would really be for aesthetics and my personal enjoyment. Did you click on the links , there are some other pretty neat mill houses there. The one in Patagonia, Aus. looks very ornate and would probably scale out nicely with either style wheel.

No, I didn't click until you mentioned it. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Thanks, Great site. I should be able to get some good ideas.

Made up my mind. Built the wheel while it was cold out. Now, it's warmer outside but seems to rain too much. About 1/2 way done.