Thread: Mountain House

Mountain House

Well, it is sort of official. At least the hole is being dug. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] We've finally begun our mountain house! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Our vision is achieveable....hip roof, essentially square cabin on a knoll over an essentially hidden basement (nine foot ceilings that will provide under house parking and dry workspace in the short run and eventually finished in the long run). Generous roof overhangs (wet climate), exposed beam vaulted ceilings, cypress decks all the way around, lots of glass, stacked stone fireplace (indoor and out), poplar bark siding, peeled locust porch poles with green corregated cantilevered roof.

The design is our own (blank sheet of paper approach), but inspired by Japanese country home architecture. We're trying hard to keep it elegantly simple...

The site is magnificent. We knew it when we bought the land, but saw it in its full glory when it was recently cleared. We see forty to fifty miles across mountain tops to the Smoky Mountain National Park towards the North, towards a (soon to be) two acre pasture nestled against a mountain to the East, down through the (later to become) vineyards, orchard and gardens to the South and through a swale of treetops to view the setting sun over Eagles Knob to the West.

The absolutely incredible thing is the fact that we can only see two lights at night! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Our closest neighbors are looking at town lights, including an irritating airport strobe, but we just happen to be tucked around the mountain top in such a way that our views will always be pristine (national forests).

Anyway, wish us luck. We've got a lot of serious lifting ahead. I'll post some pics when there is something more tangible to crow about.

Sabi

Re: Mountain House

Sounds great, Sabi; doesn't sound like you need anyone to wish you luck, you've already had it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

How about some photos of that glorious sunset? Please?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Soon Gary. That side of the knoll is the next area to feel the clearing bite because thats where the septic tank and lines go.

Thanks Bird. We sure feel lucky in the view and playing field departments, but it took a heck of a long time to get this far. The reward?.....Now I get to work my a$$ off for the forseeable future. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

God willing, we'll survive the challenges of building it to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Sabi

Sabi,

It sounds just beautiful and having been in that general area I know the views you are talking about. We did a similar thing on a smaller scale in the mountains of N. Georgia. Bought 14 acres on the side of a mountain and lived through the trials of building on a difficult site. A friend says we bought a view and they threw in 14 vertical acres. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Well every time we go there and look out on that 40 mile view all the work, expense and problems are forgotten. I'll look forward to the photo's as progress continues.

MarkV

Wasabi,

Send a pic of you on the property working your a$$ off.
    I wish we were in a position to be working ours off, but it'll have to wait as I work my brain to finish my degree. Then in a year or so we can start searching for the perfect piece of property. And then the a$$ I gained sitting for long long hours studying can be worked off. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Have fun,

Clint.
    si vis pacem para bellum