Thread: Johnson Grass

Johnson Grass

I have some Johnson Grass that seems to want to take over my pasture. I don't mind it so much except that this stuff grows to 6'-8' tall which is way too tall to do anything with.

Actually I want to kill, distroy wipe out this darn grass that has been spreading like wild fire.

What is my best line of attack/defense ?

I have thought about discing it up, but doubt that will take care of my problem... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Should I burn it, then disc it ?

Re: Johnson Grass

Sounds like some pretty tough stuff Handyman. Check out this link Johnson Grass . I'm guessing I've got some of it too based on the description [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

It's easy to get rid of in a lawn; simply keep the lawn mowed and it'll die out. Anywhere else, it's a never ending battle that you may never win. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] However, if you have other grass in the pasture and keep it mowed regularly, you'll eventually be rid of it.

MSMA selective herbicide will zap Johnsongrass very effectively. It's the southern bermuda hay farmers best friend. Problem is it'll wipe out clovers and lespedeza you may like to keep.

Dow Chemical (MSMA)