Thread: What is a fair price for sawing?

What is a fair price for sawing?

We're clearing some land and setting aside the good sawlogs on a landing area we built for the purpose. Material is poplar, some oak, alitlle bit of cherry and a fair slug of hickory and maple. Most logs will be less than two foot diameter. Our plan is to have someone with a portable bandsaw unit come in and saw it up into specified sizes, stick it properly, and put it under well-ventilated cover to dry. I've heard of various financial arrangements for such work, but without consistency. Given that the logs will be in one place, basically piled up where the sawyer can get to them, what is a fair arrangement?

Re: What is a fair price for sawing?

Last time we hired someone it was $400 for the day. Don't remember the bd. ft. #'s, but had 3 stacks of roughly 4x4x14 rough cut when he left. And one really big scrap/sawdust pile. He only brought himself and his milling machine. Luckily, we had myself and two others to help his production time.

Thx for the feedback. I haven't located anyone in our area yet, but the hunt for a good sawyer continues as we pile up logs. I'm also investigating various types of saw equipment. It sure would be nice to have a small mill.

Sabi

I don't know what part of Carolina you're in, but there are several sawyers in the Albemarle, Locust, Norwood area.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

FS,

We're in western NC near Sylva.

Sabi

I think that's a little too far for you.
    You would think there would be a lot of sawyers in your area... Cherokee, Dillsboro, Bryson City....
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Our area is rustic and rural, so I agree that there must be a number of guys with portable bandsaw mills around us. I've been asking around and checking the papers. I'm sure we'll find someone. In the meantime, I continue to salivate over small mills...I think the Lucas mill is especially interesting...

Sabi

If you do get a mill and need some practice bring it on up and we'll try it out.

I've gotta get some Dory trees felled and sawn.

Egon