When I was a kid we had a Neptune outboard motor. It was made at the Muncie Gear Works in Muncie, Indiana. I think it was 3 1/2 horse. It had a fuel tank wrapped around the flywheel which had a pull rope for starting but not one of those fancy recoil units. the float bowl had a cork in it with a brass rod that stuck out the top when it was full. You pushed the rod down a few times to prime it and then gave a yank. Usually started first time, even after being stored over the einter. It too swiveled 360 degrees for great manuverability. I have also had a small Seagull (British) outboard but it didn't swivel a full 360. They were real low tech. Pliers and a screwdriver was the required toolkit. The good news was that they were easy to work on but the bad news was that you needed to work on them. The way much Brit gear was until recent decades.

The Neptune was so thrifty I don't recall carrying extra gas but I was in grade school when we first got it so who knows.

I have used some little import motors so small (1.6 HP) that look to be giant cocktail mixers. Put one of those on an Avon Redcrest inflatable dingy with 4 divers, 8 tanks, game bags, and a picnic lunch and you don't pull skiers (or have much freeboard)! I recall fighting an adverse current along side Anacapa Island (off the coast from Santa Barbara) when one of my friends jumped over the side to help move the boat against the currrent. We looked like we were trolling for sharks.

Pat