Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got me a stick welder!

Got me a stick welder!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Went to an estate auction yesterday and bought an older Lincoln buzz box for 95 bucks. It has been around a long time, but the original electrode holder is not all burned away as they get with any kind of steady useage. It is the welder that has the ball-handle crank in front that you crank and the little pointer in the rear moves in an arc cross the curved top of the housing. It is HEAVY!!! Has two steel wheels in back. It also came with a carbon arc torch attachment. I was really intending to buy an AC/DC stick machine as a companion to my Miller 35 wire feed welder, but I could not resist this old-but-good Lincoln. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is the same welder we had in hi skool Ag shop in the fifties. I THINK they call this model the Dial-Arc. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Got me a stick welder!

Sounds about like the one my Dad had when I was a little kid.
    For 95 bucks, you did darn good.

Steve

Congrats on the purchase. This must be the week for welders. I was able to pick up a Miller DialArc 250 w/running gear and extra length cables for $120 at an estate auction also. Mine is in OK condition - the tin is a little banged up, but mechanically and electrically everything looks good. The owner picked it up from a plant where it had been a maintenance welder.

Most of the people at the auction were looking for antiques or antique farm equipment so the tools didn't bring much. I also ended up with an 8" long bed Powermatic jointer for $125.

Now I need to build a fabrication bench and am looking for ideas on what has worked and not worked for others. Also, what do you weekend welders use to store your rod?

The jointer sounds like a great buy. Congrats!

As to storing rod, get yourself an old, dead refrigerator or freezer that still seals well and put a decent sized light bulb in there that'll be on all the time. Just disconnect or break off the little shutoff button and you should be all set. That should keep moisture down to a minimum and keep your rod in great shape.

As to a welding bench, I'd think a good vice would be a must.

Good luck with your projects. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Many welding benches are made from 1/2 steel plate with lockable rollers on all four legs. Many have steel storage areas built underneath. Vice, pipe vice and various other sized clamps are usually present. A chain hoist may also come in handy. And the list can go on and on.

You can buy heated rod storage cabinets of varying size. Properly stored/dry rod will help avoid those little pin hole's and slag inclusions that may not be noticible unless an xray is done.

Further note: I am not a welder.

Egon

I saw a post not long ago that noted using a cast-off MICROWAVE from curbside recyclers, Inc. as a rod oven, the idea being that it was small. My question is, how much insulation does a microwave actually have? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have been designing a fabrication table that will be a triangle shape so the feet will work well on our uneven floor. The legs would be 6" std pipe, and one leg will stick up higher to accomodate the POST VISE that I bought last Saturday. The other legs will mount an anvil and maybe a second vise of a different style. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That welder we got is a LINCWELDER, nt a DialArc [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    CJDave

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My question is, how much insulation does a microwave actually have?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last one I took apart had none or almost none. At least I have no memory of having removed any insulation. And, I took it apart to the last little screw.

Steve

Dave
    I don't think that the insullation is a big factor unless you are trying to heat your low-hydrogen electrodes. The object here is to keep the moisture away from the flux coating so that it will not absorb any moisture and give you porosity problems when you weld. Many electrodes like E6010 and E6011 will exhibit poor performance when heated. They have a cellulose coating that will break down when the electrodes are heated.
    If you are using a variety of electrodes the light bulb idea will be adequate for keeping your rods dry. Good luck with your "new" old welder.

Randy

This just crossed my mind and I thought I'd pass it along. If you're not going to be in your rod storage box regularly, you might want to consider a couple of bulbs instead of just one. I'm not advocating more heat/wattage, but rather a pair at half the wattage (two 30W instead of one 60W) so if one burns out you'll still have some heat in there.

I know it's not a perfect system (wiring could still fail, etc.), but it's a simple improvement that would solve one potential problem, anyhow.

<font color="blue"> Also, what do you weekend welders use to store your rod?

</font color> I bought a NATO munitions box from cheaper than dirt. Dimensions were right (about 6 x 9 x 18) and it has a rubber gasket all the way around with two heavy duty clamps. It's moisture tight, heavy and was pretty cheap. I just store things in that. (I also bought a plastic rod holder made just for that - screw cap with rubber gasket. Does the job but capacity is small)