Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a barn - advice on ways to aquire one needed

Re: Need a barn - advice on ways to aquire one needed

I'm not in your area, but I have similiar thoughts. I'm sure with a couple minutes of Google searching you could find something related to barn preservation societies in Pennsylvania. A couple I found in Michigan are:

Newark Valley Historical Society Barn Links

Great Lakes Barn Preservation.

The main disadvantage that I'm having a problem overcoming is the lack of weather-tightness on the old barns. I really want something I could work in year-round.

Re: Need a barn - advice on ways to aquire one needed

In your area of PA you have Amish and Mennonite communities. I had a Mennonite carpenter build my barn using the old board and batten method. He has built many historic looking barns in our area to blend with the historic old homes.

My barn gives us the look we wanted but would not pass for an old barn. It has trusses modern windows and doors. It was built of green Hemlock and had to dry out over the winter before the stain could go on. This carpenter has build some barns that make you feel that you are stepping back in time. They are built the same way as a hundred years ago except that air nailers and skid loaders are used.

If you want the look, it can be had at not an outrageous price. One of my neighbors moved an old barn to his property and then found out he could have had all new materials much cheaper.