Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to see more pretty work by our builder?

Want to see more pretty work by our builder?

Things at the new house are not pretty..... Can you say incompetent builder?

The gap between the doorframe and the trim was CAULKED by the painters. Needless to say the door is out of square and does not seal properly.

These people are butchers......

Paul Bradway

Lovely walkway, isn\'t it?

This walkway has more waves than the ocean..... Not to mention it slopes in all the wrong directions.

By contract it is supposed to be poured over 4-6" of compacted gravel. Since that was too much work, they just poured in on the dirt.

Its also very close to the porch so planting will be limited.

Got to love it..... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Re: Lovely walkway, isn\'t it?

I was hoping things were getting better for you Paul, but that's mighty poor workmanship. The trash laying around alone is a bad sign. What are your plans? Are you moving forward with this builder or looking elsewhere? With all the visible problems you've had I almost hate to think about what may be lurking in the less obvious recesses of the place [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Want to see more pretty work by our builder?

What a shame that you can't even get what you're paying for. Sickening what people think they can get away with. What became of your roofing fiasco?

It's been my experience that there is a direct correlation between the cleanlieness of the job site and the quality of the builder.

Sorry I can't be of more help, Paul.

I was thinking the same thing the other guys pointed out. I cannot believe the build up of trash on the job site. Sorry to see things going so poorly for you. I am having my house built right now and have kept an eagle eye out for shoddy workmanship. So far I have had very little complain about. The shingles will be going on the roof in the next couple of weeks and you can bet your boots I will be watching that like a hawk to make sure my roof does not turn out like yours did.

I hope things get better for you. I would not let the builder make his final draw until all of your concerns about his poor workmanship are addressed and corrected.
    Chris

Paul,

We have made friends with some folks about a mile away who have been having their new house built. Their builder started last fall and the house is still not completed. The builder had no control over his subs and the contract was not being followed at all. Our friends could not get the builder to make right what was wrong so they ended up running him and his subs off the job. They are subbing our the remainder of the house and are just about ready to finally move in. After they close on the house and get moved in they are going to sue the pants off the builder.

I don't know how the laws in your state work on a problem like this but I think I would consider stopping construction until all previous problems are corrected. Chances are there will only be more shoddy workmanship if the general contractor is allowed to continue building. Maybe now would be a good time to talk to a lawyer and find out what your options are on how to proceed. It would be a shame to allow this guy to continue to build a substandard house that you will never be happy with and begrudge making the note on every month for as long as you live there.
    Chris

<font color="blue"> now would be a good time to talk to a lawyer and find out what your options are on how to proceed </font color>

Very true. Do it today!

The litigation attorney was hired last Thursday. I have no idea what he costs and do not care at this point.

The builder has until June 30th to complete the house, according to the specs outlined in our contract, including final grading, hydroseeding, landscaping and asphalt driveway. Also included was a list of 28 additional items that need fixing.

We didn’t even bring up the roof because if we did they would probably walk away. We at least want them to try to finish up the hardwood floors, fireplace, etc.

This whole thing has been a horror story from the get go.

They have 7-1/2 days left.

Paul Bradway

&gt;&gt;It's been my experience that there is a direct correlation between the cleanlieness of the job site and the quality of the builder.

I agree. A builder I know wanted to do some work for me that I planned to do myself, so I went out to see a job he was working on...trash all over, expensive tools lying in the dirt/mud etc...made my mind up pretty quick.

Anyway you can withold payment at the end of the project? Tell 'em to sue you if he wants to get paid?