Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to see more pretty work by our builder?

Re: Want to see more pretty work by our builder?

>>I have no idea what he costs and do not care at this point.

Don't compund your errors...you made a mistake picking the wrong builder, don't pick the wrong lawyer too and forget to ask questions like how much its gonna cost...what good will it do to "win" a settlement from the builder and give 150% of it to your lawyer?

Sorry to hear about your horror story.... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The dead giveawy is the trashy job site. You should make them redo this work, as it is substandard.

I grew up in the home construction business - my Dad was the owner. Back then our crew (including Dad) did all of the work on the house start to finish, including foundation, cabinetry, roofing, etc. The only subs were electrical, heating/air conditioning, and plumbing.

My job as a teenager was cleanup - Dad wanted his jobsite clean at all times, so that the workers didn't have to stumble over debris, and so that the jobsite always looked good. Sometimes the carpenters didn't get something just the way Dad wanted. When that happened, they ripped it all out and re-did it.

That was 30 years ago. Those homes I worked on when I was in high school and college are the best constructed ones in the area now. Dad passed away in '99 at age '80, but his handiwork lives on.

I would never want my legacy to be bad work.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Paul, how did you find/select this builder? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

EJB and Mike,

Our “regular” lawyer was unable to help us with the builder, due loosing his secretary and being overwhelmed with work. He is the one who recommended the new attorney. Apparently the two of them traveled to a court hearing together and he discussed our builder and plight. It was nice that the new lawyer already knew the background of our case. This is also the law firm for the bank who is providing the construction loan. I just called and the "new" lawyer is $25 more per hour the our "regular" one so that sounds reasonable. I already know we do not have enough money if it should come to a long drawn out court battle.

We meet this builder through a modular home seminar conducted by Westchester Modular homes back in February 2002. He is a distributor for Westchester. Prior to signing the contract, we contacted all his references, the better business bureau and checked numerous houses under all stages of construction. We really felt we did our “homework” and were confident in our decision. When we signed on with them they built 10-15 houses per year which is what we wanted; a small builder who could devote the time and attention to our house. Little did we know they were about to start a huge advertising campaign which would bring in 10 times more work than they could handle. As the builder said “we were caught in their rapid growth phase”…..

So now we wait. It will be interesting to see if they try to get the house done by Monday or just walk away.
    Paul Bradway

Thats good at least that you have a recommendation for the lawyer from your regular one...much better than pickming one from the yellow pages and taking what you get.

Have you already paid the guy(builder)? Seems to me if you still owe him a lot you could hold that over his head for quite a while...

I have heard quite a few horror stories about modular houses (and some good ones too). Probably being of course that prices are going up so fast that many not so qualifed people are still able to get work and keep busy...

Good luck...not a fun way to start what should have been an exciting event for you.

<font color="red">I have heard quite a few horror stories about modular houses </font color>

This is not a modular house, its stick built. We just met them when we were thinking of going that way.
    Paul Bradway

I like that your new lawyer is with the firm that represents your bank. I would certainly make certain the bank was made aware of and kept appraised of the situation as well.

As to your comment that <font color="blue"> t'he "new" lawyer is $25 more per hour the our "regular" one' </font color>, I figure that's probably just to cover the kickback for the referral. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck with this. I hope it all works out for you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="red">I figure that's probably just to cover the kickback for the referral. </font color>

Thats fine with me. If it will help get the house done, its good.
    Paul Bradway

Your Dad sounds like mine and they both left a lasting legacy that families will enjoy for years to come.

I was also the clean up crew of one as a teenager. Dad wanted the subs working on the job not cleaning. Boy did I hear it if anything was laying around. My son says the same thing about me.

You and I are lucky to have had good role models.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like that your new lawyer is with the firm that represents your bank. I would certainly make certain the bank was made aware of and kept appraised of the situation as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, Gary. After all, it's the bank that owns the house. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've never dealt with a construction loan, Paul, does the bank have a role in inspecting progress and authorizing each new draw? How does that work?