Thread: The Farm Update

The Farm Update

Made a stop at the farm yesterday.

Rye crop is ready for harvesting. A friend from Alberta will be visiting soon. Perhaps I can convince him the use of scythe and rake is far preferable to paddling the canoe out on the lake and attempting to procure supper fish and cleaning them.

Clover and buckwheat sowed several weeks ago has had a fine catch.

Wild prairie grass is starting to look good again. I will have to go through and pull all the blackberry vines by hand. [ my aching back ] My favorite pest " Lambs Wool will also have to be pulled by hand.

The garden fence is still in staius but maybe in several weeks Ill be getting out to work on it.

We'd planted some squash. The deer seem to like all but the butternut which they have left alone.

The time and work the place consumes is amazing. Exspecially as there is no marketable product produced.

Egon

Re: The Farm Update

Rye is good. I prefer it to Scotch. If you grew some barley, you could try home malting. I once read about an all-grain home brewer who tried that, I suppose as the ultimate do-it-yourself home brewing step. I bet you could grow some nice hops up there in the frozen north, too. Make that farm pay for itself!

Chuck

If I had all the brewing supplies at hand there be a chance that after the first 50 gallons or so I may tend to neglegt the crop required to produce the nex 50 gallons.

Egon

<font color="green">The time and work the place consumes is amazing </font color>

Yes it is amazing!! Every time I think I get caught up I just wind up chasing my tail in a couple more circles and then I'm way behind again. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But when you go to bed dog-tired you sleep SO good. I haven't "tossed and turned" since I moved from the city. At least that's what I told myself as I wrassled hay bales all weekend.