Thread: Outboard motor repair

Outboard motor repair

This is a little off topic, but what the heck.

I have an older (1961) Evinrude Lark outboard which isn't pumping well. I've had the impeller and thermostat replaced, but it still isn't pumping well. It spits a little water at high rpms, but nothing at idle.

Two people have told me that a mud dauber or other insect probably made a nest in one of the water lines. If this is correct, or there is some other type of internal blockage, short of taking the motor apart is there a good way to clear out the blockage?

Re: Outboard motor repair

I'm not familiar with that motor, but I do have a '78 Johnson 115hp that my Dad sucked up a bunch of sand and clogged up the thermostat. Had the boat up around the beach and stirred up the sand. You might check the thermostat and see if it is stuck or clogged. On mine the thermostat is plumbed in just after the water leaves the heads and exits the motor.

Good luck

To do it right, it's gotta come apart. But, before you do that, check the inlet screen. It's probably rusted or full of junk. If I can remember, I'll check the manual to see if there's an easy fix to this.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Well we got it working again. Took off the lower unit, cleaned everything out and flushed out the powerhead. Just ran water through it for a long time. It pumps OK now and ran just fine for 2 hours on the lake.

Thanks for the suggestions.