Thread: Underwater connection

Underwater connection

I am installing a fountain in a pond and have not found a pump with a long enough cord.

My solution is to get a regular outdoor extension cord and cover the connection with a bowl of grease and enclose this in a tube (such as a bicycle inner tube) with both ends tightly closed with a plastic tie.

Is this a reasonable solution?

THanks for responses.

SethO

Re: Underwater connection

SethO, personally, I'd be afraid of a home made rig that like, although it should work if it never leaks. But you can buy connectors made for the purpose; don't know whether Home Depot or Lowe's have them or not, but I'll bet your local electrical supply house does.

I'm with Bird... do it right the first time. Electricity and water do not mix well. Don't ask why we know.... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Bird, fivestrings,

Thanks for your responses.

I inquired from a few places with dedicated underwater connectors, all of them require a mated plug and socket. This will still require splicing of the original power cable from the pump, and I am not sure that this constitutes a better solution for me.

I assume that with grease completely covering the connection, that will be enclosed in a secure bag such as can be made from a bicycle inner tube or even a flexible vinyl pipe, that there will be no chance of any leakage. The whole contracption will be held down under a concrete block specifically cast for it.

SethO

Seth, it might work for a while, but sooner or later, it's gonna leak. Have the whole cord replaced with a rated waterproof cord. That way, the connection will be outside the pond. Also, remember GFI.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My solution is to get a regular outdoor extension cord and cover the connection with a bowl of grease and enclose this in a tube (such as a bicycle inner tube) with both ends tightly closed with a plastic tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that even 6" under the surface, the water will be at a higher pressure than the air on the surface. The biggest pressure change comes in that first 3 feet. So, you are not just waterproofing, you are pressure proofing, and that is difficult if not impossible to do.

Steve

Seth,
    3M makes a wonderful splice kit that would work underwater. It's probably only available at an electrical supply house, but if done properly, that baby will never leak. You have to break them open with a hammer if you did anything wrong with your splice.

Jerry

I agree with not gerry rigging this one. See if you can get the pump without a cord and just run a new cord for the distance you need and make the waertight connection in the pump housing like it's designed for. Otherwise if you want to splice it use a spice kit designed for the water depth you'll be at. With gfci I don't think your system would be too unsafe cause the breaker would trip (if it works properly) but if you had any fish even a short burst of electric charge can fry them

Thanks everyone

Seth