Thread: Dogs eating dead stuff

Dogs eating dead stuff

I’m having a problem with one of my Standard Schnauzers. She is quite the "hunter" and has been bringing home fresh rabbit kills almost nightly for the last few weeks.

Last night she brought home something that was a "little" less than fresh. It was so decomposed that I could not identify what it was. Since the temperature has been well into the 80's for the last few days it was pretty rank.

It looked like she had eaten a bit of it when I found her. She seemed OK but I was concerned enough to give her a few table spoons of milk and Hydrogen Peroxide. She didn’t vomit and still seems to be fine.

My question -- Should I worry about her eating this rancid meat? Is there any reason to make a trip into the vet?

Vet open in a few hours...

Thanks for the advice...
    7sam15

Re: Dogs eating dead stuff

Dogs will be dogs. Their digestive systems are built to handle, errr... well, less than desirable meat than us. I know many dogs that are on the BARF diet (raw meat/veggies) and do great on it--even when a piece goes missing for a few days.

Take care,

Rhonda

I have four golden retrievers, along with the occasional rescue. My dogs' diet includes anything alive or dead -- or anything that might have passed thru anything alive -- despite my best efforts to discourage this practice. Tetley, my 108# lap dog from grand champion hunting lines, is an excellent hunting dog with one caveat...he eats whatever I shoot as part of his "retrieving" process!

Gives new meaning to the term "Dove Bar!" [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete

If it's just dead stuff, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the problem with dogs eating things is chemical. Antifreeze, rat poison, etc.

Steve

We have 2 wolves, their dam was a red wolf and their sire a northern. I get the impression I'm just supplementing their diet with high energy dry dog food. Meanwhile I'm not plagued with coyotes, like some of my neighbors. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] They even tried to dig up my chiuhauha, but I tricked them I buried him in a small metal toolbox. I doubt carrion will hurt your dog.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer