Thread: Water Smell

Water Smell

Before we installed our water softener unit, we bought one of those home test kits. We bought our unit from a mail order company where you compare your results with a chart on their web page to choose the correct sized unit for your needs. Believe it or not, it came by UPS the next afternoon, and we promptly installed it.

This cleared up our water (our well water was previously yellow), and has taken care of the staining issues in the toilets, etc., but it still has a "rotten eggs" smell when you run the water. After you pour it into the glass, it's not noticable any longer, but only while it's first running from the faucet.

What causes this, and how can it be fixed? I very happy with this unit that I bought by mail order and it seems it works just fine and is sized correctly for our needs, and I'm hestitant to call a commisioned salesperson to the house to sell me something I don't need. I'm very confident that someone can give me a solution to something that seems pretty simple to fix...

Re: Water Smell

When I lived in Florida, I had a well which of course had stinky sulphur water.

The system they installed for me was comprised of an aerator -- big white container which held about 100 gallons of water and a water softener. I am not quite sure how the aerator worked, but I think it forced the water into this tank through some small spray-like means to force out the gas in the water. Then this would pass through into the water softener.

The water smelled and tasted great!

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I found an advanced discussion and several systems that address a variety of water treatment problems at http://www.greatwaterco.com/e-comprob.phtml#ODOR

Hope that helps

This company resolved my water problems. ohio water

The anodes in your hot water tank took a dislike to it's new water. Typical with a watersoftener installitaion. I have to remove the anodes in a house I have for rent.