Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: greenhouse growers

greenhouse growers

Is there any greenhouse growers here? If so, when do you start your annuals for the following spring to sell in upstate NY. Plus can you start everything from seed in the greenhouse without bottom heat and just the greenhouse furnace? Im on a information race to get as much insite before i put up my greenhouse. Ive got some capitol to invest in a part time home business. Im going into this some what blind with hopes to learn alot on the way. Your local nurseries will only give you so much info knowing your going to be selling. Ive got all the info i need on permits and licenses for small time growing and selling. Any help would be greatfull
    Thanks, Larry

Re: greenhouse growers

Hi all,
    Well i didnt get any insite yet from ya all, but i orderd my greenhouse today. 30x50 with furnace and cooling and all the extras. price wasnt to bad for the size and capabilities. 3400 dollars includes shipping and quite a few extras...like ground cover,lighting and soil testing equipment and a few other things. I will be putting it up about the end of august with lots to do to get ready for next growing season. wish me luck any any growers out there can put there insite out there and ill listen, Larry

I guess most of us here probably do not have the information that you require, just gardeners that start a few plants inside in the spring or just buy them for transplanting them.

Perhaps as you learn, you might be able to share your insights with us.

This is my first year with a large garden, over one acre, hope to sell the produce in the farmers market. My brother started the tomatoes and peppers in his greenhouse of six by eight feet, so there is not much information that I could pass on.

Best of all to you Larry. Can't give any advice but would sugest you contact your local agriculturist or perhaps even the nearest university for sources of information.

Egon

Hi Larry...also can't offer anyt advice, but would be interested to hear what kind of setup you bought, what it included and what your experiences have been so far with getting up and running.

I too am hoping to have a greenhouse setup by fall for use this winter/next spring. $3400 seems like a decent price for a 30x50...what did it include? where did it come from?

Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have to renig on the size...Its 26x48, sorry [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I dont have it yet, but its comming from farmtek. I got my order in before this years price increase. The same setup i got is 3995 now, but it includes. The greenhouse with front and back walls being 4mm double wall corrugated plastic. The top is 4 year 6mm greenhouse film with the inflation blower fan kit, 4- 12" circulation fans, 1- 24" exhaust fan with motorized shutter, 2-double doors, 1 36" entrance door, 1-150 btu propane modine furnace thermostat each for heating and cooling. The sides feature 4' of upgraded roll up type film with a crank up setup. Heavey duty ground post and 4 ridge poles with purlins for hanging baskets. It is the professional Greenhouse system from Clearspan bought thru farmtek. All the tubing is 1.90 diameter Allied tube. I got some extras too...: damp area lighting, ground cover for the inside and lots more ground cover for setting growing pots on outside with trees and other plants. A couple rolls of high tensile screen for bench tops in the greenhouse..(plant stands) A PH and moisture soil tester. Plus a large shade canopy to use for a sale area for plants and other uses...LIKE parties at the house [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I didnt skimp on the money with the greenhouse even though i could have built one cheaper because i want my business to look professional. I will build all my own growing tables, run all my own electric and water and set it all up myself to save money. My water will come from our well that we no longer use for the house due to city water going by last year. My Greenhouse will be centerd over the well with the pump on top. I should benifit from the heat and moisture from that setup. Our well is good water and ive been told that doing it over the well is a great idea. It doesnt all come till the first week in August. Ive t alked to a few other people that sell crafts like my wife and i allready do and a handmade soap maker gal that want to rent space from me next year to sell their products. I have 700' of road frontage with parking and 8 acrers of land to utilize in this adventure. Im not planning on useing all the land. Just 2 unless i grow more business and need it. For the most part we are going in blind and will learn along the way. Ive wanted to do this for years and have been saving money to get started...it is time! Wish me luck!
    Larry

When we were looking at attaching a green house to our new home, we received a lot of information from Cornell Extention out of Rochester. I am not sure if that office is still open, I remember that there was talk of closing it.

I'll wish you lots of luck and predict you will have major fun!

I built a small 6' x 12' sort of greenhouse a few years ago out of old sliding glass panels. It has been an endless source of education, growth and fun.

What are you planning to grow and how will you sell it?

Enjoy!!

Sabi

>>I have to renig on the size...Its 26x48, sorry

Thats makes sense...I looked on the farmtek website and couldn't find a 30x50...just assumed I was too dense to find it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, your project sounds like lots of fun(the green house project AND the business project). I wish you luck. We are more or less undergoing the same process as you but have not committed to any particular business plan yet...we are trying lots of things to see what grows best here, what we like growing etc.

Sounds like we have a similar setup as you. Big chunk of land with plenty of frontage on a busy-enough road to attract customers (at least once!). My problem is my elevation is a lot higher than the places just 15 or so miles from me so my growing season is a lot shorter, and my soil is a lot worse(clay and rock)....so a green house may give me the help I need in getting things ready to sell earlier than I otherwise would be able to (and before people have already bought everything they need from those valley growers.)

Keep us informed on your progress.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Ill be keeping postings here on the whole venture. I plan on keeping it just a part time business..Just the wife and i and a little help from familey. My father in law loves growing things and is retired. I will have to beat him with a stick to make hime go home each night. Its a good thing they live less that a 1/2 mile down the road in a huge trailor park development just for seniors called Friendly Village. I got a feeling the residence from that park will be some of my best customers. Its is a huge park and they all take great care in landscaping their lots [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I am the first house on the road past that park. Could be a plan [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I wish you luck too EJB
    Larry