Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: greenhouse growers

Re: greenhouse growers

Propane gets hooked up thursday to the furnace. I cant wait to see how this baby cranks the heat out. At 150,000 BTU i bet shes burns the gas up too. But depending on when i open the house for growing it shouldnt be to bad. This year i dont plan on doing a winter crop so the damages wont be to bad [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Furnace pic attached

OOPS..furnace pic here [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I am considering the same type of greenhouse.

About how many hours do you figure that you have in the set up of the greenhouse?

Nice looking setup you have there...have you done any estimates, or been given any information, on how much it is going to cost you to heat that thing per month? What temp do you plan on keeping it?

Are you going to run it all winter long or just use it to get a jump on the growing season?

The first year i plan on starting / growing annuals and veggy plants for resale. Im also over wintering about 500 perennials. They are all in 1 gallon pots and are just starting to die back for winter. The greenhouse really extendend their growing season and they were all first year transplants from the field. Im going to do some research for a winter crop next year. So im open to any options that are cost effective to offset heating. Im thinking about a cool weather lettuce crop in raised beds under my grow benches. Im open to any comments on winter growing with low temps. Thanks for the comment on nice looking setup.
    Larry

Ive spent about 3 hours each evening after work and the weekends for about 2 months now. Here is a link to see all the pictures ive taken thru the building process.

www.f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/tracker144

Check it out if ya like,
    Larry

just a quick post to add to your greenhouse activity. i had a greenhouse erected on the south end of our new home as it was in construction phase. this pic is from the south end. garage is to the right in the pic. entry from greenhouse to garage is through a 36" fiberglass door. entry from greenhouse to our home is through a set of french doors.

it's a commercial greenhouse and cost a few bucks more than yours, but it's multi-purpose. the greenhouse itself is 11'X26'. there is a 5' slider to the west. it has a thermo activated roof vent system, all automatic. there is even a basement under it. we just moved in to our house in november and the greenhouse is not a priority at this moment. i do manage to capture enough heat on sunny days to heat the upper level of our home(4200 s/f + ) that was intentional. the floor joists are on 12" centers and it is plumbed with hot and cold water and a drain, in case i decide to put a hot tub out there some day. this summer, i'll put a deck on the west side (in pic) to service the house and greenhouse. i may start growing this spring or it just may have to wait. the greenhouse has forced air ductwork, mostly for air conditioning, if needed. and wirsbo in the floor for added heat options. so far though, mother nature has done a fantastic job.

Looks great and you should get lots of heat you can send into the house from it. The wife and i want that style off our bedroom with a hot tub in it. a bit smaller though. kind of a tropical paradise get a way in our master bedroom. Good luck with it.
    Larry

How did the greenhouse do with the snow and cold weather this winter? Have you started your spring annuals yet?