Thread: Source for Transfer Switch

Source for Transfer Switch

I want to install a transfer switch on the house panel so that I can use my generator in case of power failure. Especially since our well and septic are on electric power [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My generator is rated for 7200 peak/6500 running watts and I'd like to get a 10 circuit/7200 watt transfer switch. It needs to be NEMA rated for outdoor use.

What I was wondering if anyone has experience or a good source for a particular brand of switch? I know that there are several names I see out there more than others - Cutler-Hammer, Gen-Tran, and Coleman in particular. Thanks for any input you might have.
    Nick

Re: Source for Transfer Switch

What your asking for is a circuit switch not a transfer switch. A transfer switch would switch the mains a circuit switch will switch specific circuits in and out.

Home depot, lowes has circuit switches, but not sure if they are outdoor rated. Is your fusbox outside?

Yes, the main panel is outside - to avoid having to route wiring through the wall I wanted a NEMA 3R rated weatherproof transfer switch.

You are right about the circuit clarification. I will not be able to switch the entire house load over, so that's why I wanted the individual circuits to select what was to be powered by the generator.

So far the closest thing I have found is a Gen-Tran NEMA 3R transfer circuit/switch (model R302110) rated to 7500w/10 circuits for $322 at Graingers.
    Nick

Try WESCO and Graybar. They're wholesalers but I think most locations won't turn away a walk up customer. Since you're not a wholesale customer - they're not going to be cheap but neither is Grainger. Between those three nationals you'll probably have access to all the available major vendors products.

Tim

I'll do it - thanks.
    Nick

I've used manual transfer switches and panel boxes made by Reliance, they seem to specialize i this area and are distributed widely. Go to www.reliancecontrols.com for more information.